Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pipe organ with trumpet pipes in the General forums; Originally Posted by Dupac Quote: "... to act like human lips on a mouthpiece ..." Is it exactly what does ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Pipe organ with trumpet pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Dupac View Post
    Quote: "... to act like human lips on a mouthpiece ..."
    Is it exactly what does that "Toyota's trumpet playing robot" ? (Just google those words)
    Thanks for the tip. I did the google and found the video clips of the robots playing. It is pretty impressive to watch their "band". But, there were no closeups of the "mouth" and I could not detect that there was any mechanism that would create the buzz that lips do. I sort of had the impression that the robots were moving but not producing the sound. It was hard to tell.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Lancashire, UK

Re: Pipe organ with trumpet pipes

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    this is actually a very interesting topic and I am surprised that Lyndon didn't touch on the British practice of voluntaries for the organ. These wre piece that were intended for playing on the organ, but used the partial series of the trumpet and trumpet stops to simulate the real thing.
    The word 'Voluntary' tends over here in the UK to be used now to mean any organ postlude at the end of a service. I assume you're referring to voluntaries by composers like John Stanley, William Boyce et al in the 18th century - there are certainly lots of examples! You're right - I didn't mention the mutation (upper-partial) stops (Nazard, Tierce, Mounted Cornet etc.) which were and still can be used alongside trumpet-type stops to increase the 'trumpetty' quality (the Cornet also being used on its own). The effect of these is more easily demonstrated than described, and tends to be more convincing higher up in the range. Basically, if you play middle C on a Cornet stop (which is NOT a reed, but a stop which has several pipes to each note), you'll hear, in addition to the fundamental note, the following upper partials: Octave (C, one octave higher) 15th (C, two octaves higher), the E above that (17th, called a Tierce), the G above that (19th, sometimes called a Larigot). If these pipes are skilfully 'voiced', the listener is chiefly aware of the fundamental pitch - the upper partials given by the extra pipes impart a slightly 'brassy' quality to the tone. I hope this is what Rowuk meant...

Here's one more example of trumpet stops - the Royal Trumpets at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. They sound extremely impressive when you're actually there! You can see a picture of the horizontally-mounted pipes at about 0.20. I've included an example of a Cornet stop below it.

[ame=]YouTube - St. Paul's Cathedral London Fanfare[/ame]

[ame=]YouTube - Mariss plays John Traver's Cornet Voluntary[/ame]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information