Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss pitch center/making it ring in the General forums; There is a book by Chase Sanborn called "Tuning Tactics". The CD that accompanies the book has recorded drones(Synthesizer playing ...
    Piano User

Re: pitch center/making it ring

There is a book by Chase Sanborn called "Tuning Tactics". The CD that accompanies the book has recorded drones(Synthesizer playing pitches) in all the keys. What I do in my practice is play scales, chords, intervals,jazz licks etc all around the center key/pitch that the drone is playing. Its a very meditative experience once you get used to it. This is very helpful in getting the clarity or vision of sound inside your head and consequently results in a more vibrant, clear, focused sound. I also use the drones to practice "lip bending" as has been described by others. The drone again is helpfull in developing your sense of pitch center and that is what eventually will develop the tone you are looking for.

This IS the real answer. When we find equilibrium, the horn does the work. When we force the issue, physics fight back. We can NEVER win against mother nature. That is why we should relax and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a useful analogy or not ....... But with singers, there's a very loud and resonant place where the vocal chords are ringing FREELY. There's no extra effort that's needed, just sort of riding on that spot when you're singing. I can't really do it after 2 years of lessons, but my ex's daughter, a trained opera singer can.

At the time I was taking lessons, she took a few tuneup lessons from my instructor. I asked him how she managed such HUGE (it was big) volume when she weighs, literally, around 90 pounds. The answer was, she found that SPOT (where the chords ring freely) and rides it all the time. She never goes off it. The first time I heard her sing, she shook the windows of a large stone church in an audition.

I think little or no tension was part of the equation too.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

Yes, David Krauss of the Metropolitan Opera shared with me the same type of story when relating the ability of singers to project so well.

Levittown , NY

Have you had the pads and felts checked?

Randolph, New Jersey

I am a student of Laurie Frink and took a lesson with James Thompson last July. These two approaches fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

The very last audio track from James Thompson's "Buzzing Book" is called "Finding the Center". One "lips up" and "lips down" until the note settles on its most resonant point. Of course, the exercises that precede that track focus on the "spaces" between the harmonics and "feeling" those distances. Thus, you work up a skill at bending up and down and your ear helps inform you where the note belongs.

This is totally consistent with the pitch bending that I am doing in my studies with Laurie Frink as well. When we attack, we're generally "too tight": bending down a half-step opens the aperture and moving back into pitch well, we get to pitch but stop at the maximum resonance point.

Since skills are made permanent through repetition, diligent practice is the only way we learn where the note belongs without warping it flat and returning.

1940 Martin Handcraft Cornet
    1946 Martin Committee Trumpet
    1947 Martin Committee Cornet
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Inhale deeply, then exhale (without the horn). Do not hold the air in in between, just in out big and smooth.
    Take this advise seriosly. It took me way to long to figure this one. Yes it looks silly in public but you will thank yourself later. After I started doing this consistently for about 2 weeks I could already start hearing improvements. But like rowuk always says true improvement takes months and years.
    "Pinch harder and use less are I guarantee the high notes will come out."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information