Trumpet Discussion Discuss Places to practice?!?!?! in the General forums; I love to practice as much as possible, even more so sometimes... although, as you know, finding places to practice ...
    Pianissimo User
    San Francisco

Places to practice?!?!?!

I love to practice as much as possible, even more so sometimes... although, as you know, finding places to practice can be tough.

I have tried parks, rooftops, street corners, bathrooms, closets, under freeway bridges, Parking lots...

Where i live is not good because of room mates, the parks and streets are too distracting, under the freeway is not safe!

I go to the local music center but i'm always forced to give up the room for members (who pay a yearly fee). And im always the only trumpeter there, and always the loudest instrumentalist which might irk them.

I live in San Francisco, its a very built up city but I'm sure there is a basement or garage or something somewhere where i could use. I'm looking at renting rehearsal space but its quite expensive and the scheduling is hard to suit everyone.

So i was wondering if anyone has any inspirational ideas for places to practice that i haven't thought of. Or even just an amusing story of weird places they have practiced.

Re: Places to practice?!?!?!

Church, School band halls
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I had the same problem while living in Dallas, Texas. I got to know the custodian in the music building at SMU. After a couple of visits, he began to let me into the larger rehearsal rooms and for one semester, he thought I was a SMU student. All they can do is throw you out.

Pianissimo User
    Long Beach, California

I use the local community college campus. Bring the security detail some coffee and croissants/donuts and explain the problem. I have two nooks that I use with some regularity on the weekends and after 10:00 in the evening during the week on the campus.

One value for the campus is the security team will check in with me every once in a while. My horns, and I'm sure yours, are expensive and being unsafe can mean losing your horn.

Another thought is to check with the music departments in the area. They often have resources that will help too.

Great Southern Land

In the evenings when my son is sleeping I head to the office and use one of the boardrooms - we have a great big one which works very well.

When I was in school/uni I practised in a local engineering workshop - when nobody else was using it. It was quite a large space with concrete floor and hard surfaces everywhere, and multiple paths for the reflections. Playing fast passages tended to sound very confused but the slower ones were majestic. (I've seen this happen to a recital by German Brass when they were playing in a Hamburg Cathedral once.)

Last edited by bumblebee; 03-10-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: remove duplicate sig

San Pedro

SAME HERE ...
    at home I put the bell of my horn very close to the clothes in the closet..
    I also have practiced in my car... but you have to be creative with your posture and it is a virtual pain to get the music in a good position... but it works and you would be surprised how little sound gets out.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Thread Information