Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing 1 " tuning slide sharp in the General forums; I was wondering if any other players ever had a problem with consistent sharp playing. I've been playing since 5th ...

Playing 1 " tuning slide sharp

I was wondering if any other players ever had a problem with consistent sharp playing. I've been playing since 5th grade -now 55, and I have always had to pull the tuning slide out about an inch or so to match the rest of the band. Yes, I have an unusual embassure- 2/3 mouthpiece on top lip. I've tried severl times to change (when I was younger), with help from some of the best trumpet instructors in the state, but to no avail. I've played fairly good most of my life -2nd chair in two college jazz bands (A level bands). But when it comes to tuning, my slide is never out just the the 3/16 inch that is the "textbook" starting point.

Anyone else have this issue or found ways to correct it?

Olds Super 1946
    Olds Super 1962
    Bach Strad 1967
    Bach Strad 1970

Re: Playing 1 " tuning slide sharp

If your tone is fine, then there is no need to change your embouchure. Some people, like me and you, naturally play sharp. In fact, some people's ears are tuned to sharp, so even if they pull out the slide very far, they will pull it a couple of cents sharp. All of these are minor "problems" that you don't have to worry about, especially considering that you've managed to be succesful.

I find it surprising that most people you play with pull the tuning slide out at the "textbook" starting point. My teacher and I have it pulled out at different lengths when we play together, and neither of the lengths is the "textbook" length. After all, there is a reason why the tuning slide is adjustable, right? We all have different playing characteristics.

Tuning.......... sometimes i think we worry to much about things,I to have to pull my main slide out further than the rest in the band. the best asset we have in this is our ears, the band could tune up to the tuner spending precious practice time to no avail if we don't listen to each other.its amazing how much we can lip a note in if we find a certain note out.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

If you need to pull out considerably more the tuning side than the usual this probably means that you play high on the pitch which is caused by body tension. Check David G. Monette Corporation for more details.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Heart of Dixie

Playing on a small mouthpiece will also make many people sharp. The problem with having to pull the tuning slide out an inch or more is that the other slide lengths become slightly out of proportion with the overall horn length.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Pianissimo User

I've been having the same problem. I is more prevalent when playing a smaller rim diameter or a shallow cup.

I've noticed my problem is associated with my tongue level. I am raising my tongue to ascend in range rather than diaphram support. When I make this correction....things are fine. Now I need to make it a habit.

take care,

Thread Information