Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing in Church in the General forums; to play from the hymm book on a Bb trumpet - add two sharps to the Key sig and move ...

Re: Playing in Church

to play from the hymm book on a Bb trumpet - add two sharps to the Key sig and move everything up a step... remember E up a step is F# - and B up a step is C#, etc... knock em' out.
    Kunst kommt nicht von können, sondern von müssen.

In a previous part of my life I transposed a lot of music to play on my C trumpet and my piccolo trumpet in A. I transposed the entire Messiah for both horns by hand at my kitchen table. The way I remember to transpose is to think of whether the trumpet has longer tubing or shorter for the part I am transposing

If my trumpet is a Bb it has longer tubing than a concert C so I have to raise the note a full step.

If I transpose the Bb Messiah part to D I have to lower the notes two steps to compensate for the shorter D trumpet raising the pitch. (I hope.)

Every time I have to transpose I get out the horns and check what I've written.
    It has been a very long time since I have done this so If I made a mistake send me a PM and I"ll remove the post. No need to add to the confusion.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

New Friend
    Belleville, Illinois

Stick with the B-flat until the music director asks if you have a C. All his or her personal arrangements were for B-flat. My purchased solos are in B-flat. And my purchased quartet/quintet arrangements are for B-flat (although some have C parts)

Good luck.

Metro Detroit

Very seldom do I play the Bb in church unless I have too. I use my C for just about everything. No transposition just play along and I'm comforable playing on it.

Now every once and a while I'll play a nice lyrical piece that I think is better suited for my Bb Cornet so I'll transpose and transcribe the piece ahead of time and play it on my Cornet but only once and awhile.

If I'm playing with another trumpeter I'll usually try to match his sound. If I'm not able to on my C then I'll switch to Bb and play with them. For whatever reason all the other trumpeters I've ever played with in church have all used Bb's.

The key signatures are a bit easier when your playing in concert pitch.

Most of the music I play would be in B major (5 Sharps) in Bb. On the C that's A Major (3 Sharps) much easier to play!

I guess what it really boils down to is this. Do what you can do with what you have. Above all enjoy yourself!
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA

I am pretty comfortable with most transposition. Do you know what I find peculiar though? Since I have been playing A piccolo in C or D transposition for so long, the notes have merely become symbols of the notes to which I am transposing. If I think about it too literally anymore, I get temporarily befuddled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information