Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing down to the pitch in the General forums; Hi Manny, For the last couple of weeks I have been working on getting the main slide in. I read ...
    Monroe Ct.

Playing down to the pitch

Hi Manny,

For the last couple of weeks I have been working on getting the main slide in.

I read your post to me and have tried everything.
    In my post about range with the "E" thing, that was for the corners not the tongue. It took me a while to understand what you meant about using "E" in the extreme upper register.

I can do it now but I had to change my embouchure a little.
    I found that I have to push out my bottom jaw a little more.

It's a slight change in the jaw but a huge change in pitch.

The only trouble I have now is that I get tired more quickly.
    I was playing the other night and I got tired and the music was hard and all of the sudden I was way sharp. I adjusted and the pitch went down.

The only draw back to this is that I was using a B flat mouthpiece on my C trumpet and now I cant, or if I do the slide is all the way in. I talked to tom about a new C mouthpiece the other day.

Midwest area USA

To add to this post a little bit, could you give me some tips on playing down to the pitch? I have used Monette's equipment for over five years now with a lot of success, but with no formal direction outside of my own research I sometimes wonder if there's something more that I have not yet realized.

Thanks for your help!

Utimate User
    It takes a lot of strength to keep your jaw dropped but eventually you gain it if you keep feeding the embouchure wind. Say too or toe on each and every note and you'll learn to keep your jaw dropped and stable to play lower on the pitch.

Thread Information