Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing Flute and trumpet/flugelhorn? in the General forums; Greetings, I have returned to trumpet/flugelhorn after a few years lay off, I have been playing Flute during this period, ...
    New Friend
    Dartford, Kent, UK.

Playing Flute and trumpet/flugelhorn?

I have returned to trumpet/flugelhorn after a few years lay off,
    I have been playing Flute during this period, and wonder if anyone has
    any experience playing both instruments,regarding embouchure problems.
    regards John.

Blaine, ME
    As a teacher I have never come across a problem with people who play both instruments. The thing I usually come across who flute players really have trouble learning trumpet and trumpet players have a lot of trouble on flute. I have tlaked with many who are good at both but this is a common issue I see. I have worked my tail off on flute and have taken many private lessons and I can still only make a sound on like 3 notes on a good I can do all the fingerings but making a sound is not easy. Most of my trumpet playing friends are the same. That's my experiences at least:)
    Adam W. Metzler

M.S.A.D. #42
    Black Bear Web Design
    Maine Trumpet - Discuss all things Maine!

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    I'm not 100% sure, but I belive Noel Langley in London plays both trumpets and flute.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Saint Paul, MN
    I have known a couple that could do that double. Me I can't even get a sound out of the d***ed thing.
    Per aspera ad astra

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    There was a guy who used to post several years ago out of San Diego... an acquaintance of Flip Oakes' I believe... who played semi-pro on both instruments. I "think" he gave up trumpet to concentrate on flute but not certain. Anyway, it seemed to work for him.

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've always heard that flute and trumpet have very similar embouchers, and if you're going to play two instruments alot and not want to worry about the embouchers messing each other up, flute and trumpet are the best two to pick.

I'm not sure though, thats just what I've heard.
    -David Jacques

New Friend
    I tried the flute, in high school because my younger sister kept playing "One Day Over The Rainbow" and getting this one note WRONG and it was driving me nuts! She kept getting to it, get it wrong, then go a few more notes, then stop wondering what the hell want wrong. And over and over lather rinse repeat - ARRGH!

So, I gave it a try, could do a few notes right off, but wow it made me out of breath!

And I never took up the flute and my sis never got "One Day Over The Rainbow" down. The End.

Big bad Yamaha cornet, courtesy of Ace Pawn!

I fought the scale and the .... scale won! But I'm learning......

New Friend
    Dartford, Kent, UK.

Playing Flute and Trumpet/Flugelhorn.

Thanks everyone for quick responce, I was a little
    worried in case the embouchures clashed, but it
    seems things are OK.
    John (Qigongjohn)

Pianissimo User
    I play both trumpet and flute (and clarinet) Never had a problem except that you have to practice twice as long if you play two horns. And three times as long if you play . . .well you get it!
    Trumpet chops won't hurt flute efforts. It's just a matter of developing proper flute chops. Someone above mentioned getting out of breath on flute. Flute takes probably more air than any other upper register horn. The big lungfuls needed for flute actually benefit trumpet playing. But an embouchure isn't black magic, or something that has to be coddled lest you lose it or damage it - it's all about muscle development just like any other exercise, in which case, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander IMHO.

Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I used to play the flute parts in a horn band in the 70's. The sax player didn't double on flute, so I learned. The embouchures are very similar. It shouldn't hurt your trumpet playing at all and vise-versa.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Thread Information