Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss playing into a electric tuner in the General forums; Hi is it normal to use a tuner to see how exact ur notes are? I was toying with the ...
    New Friend

playing into a electric tuner

Hi is it normal to use a tuner to see how exact ur notes are? I was toying with the idea of buying a tuner and running a lead to it from my silent brass..
    Does the mute makes it slightly out of tune though?

cheers aj
    Last edited by splinter; 05-03-2007 at 09:01 AM.
    Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.
    Let the beauty we love be what we do.
    There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi

Mezzo Forte User

Re: playing into a electric tuner

Like most mutes I'm guessing you would be sharp with the mute in.

I don't use a tuner when I play, only to check my tuning pitch and even then I make sure my note is centred before looking at the thing.

Regards,

Trevor

Fortissimo User

I think that owning a tuner is imperative, whether you are testing mutes or not. Only by checking a horn "blind" (ie, have someone else watch the tuner) can you determine whether or not you are accurately placing the notes "mute in" or "mute out". It also affords you the opportunity to make adjustments to your mute corks so that the horn's tuning changes as little as possible with the mute in; there is NOTHING that says you MUST ALWAYS change your tuning slide when using a mute!

The tuner is also very useful since it will help you with your regular practice. You will learn which notes you need to push up a bit on or which ones you can lip down a bit.... and whether you are using your slide(s) correctly. An indispensable bit of kit, along with a metronome IMO.

I use a tuner all the time. As a newbie who is teaching himself it has been an awesome tool.

Mezzo Piano User

What tuner do youall recommend?

I do not like the tuner except to get an ensemble tuned up. The fastest and best way to learn to play in tune is ensemble or duets with somebody better than you.
    Keyboards have fixed intonation for each note. That well-temperedness is a compromise. We have to know where to place the notes depending on the key we are playing in. Tuners will slow our progress down!
    To learn how to play in tune alone, the best method that I have experienced is to find some constant tone like from a keyboard or computer and then play scales against that tone. Especially 3rds, 4ths, 5ths and 7ths are easy to hear.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Chase Sanborn has a book out at the moment on intonation called Tuning Tactics...he recommends a CentrePitch tuner and the book comes with a cd that has reference tones...........

Walter

IMHO, if you are going to use electronics to develop the ability to play in tune better, I would NOT use an electronic tuner that tells you how many cents sharp or flat you are with some sort of indicator. I would reccommend using a Dr. Beat or something lke that. It has a function that plays NOTES at various ptiches with a readout as to what note it is (C4, G6 etc.) This way you are using the electronics to learn how to play in tune they you will have to do it in the real world - by EAR.

Get a tone generator type tuner and dial up some notes that seem crusty for you and play to match the pitch. Listen for the beat frequency and then make it go away by either adjsuting your slide or your chops, as necessary. I'd then try playing tones which are a 3rd or 4th away from the tone and listen carefully to train yourself to hear those intervals in tune.

Just a thought. I'm sure there are MANY ways to work on this. This is just how I would do it.

Peace.

Nick

Forte User

Exactly, Nick!

We play in tune by using our ears, not our eyes. Using an (in-tune) piano to check your pitches is even better than using an electronic tone coming from a tuner.

New Friend

Hi tks for ur replies!! my main problem i'm using the silent brass 99.9% of the time..I work & rent a room from my disabled friend,Hes going to be off work for another month due to illness,so the mutes a must,after that i guess i will use it 50%..

I understand that the mute can really harm my playing,so i wanted to use the tuner so i can adjust the differences the mute makes(if that makes sense) ..Does the silent mute make the notes out by a set amount or does it change depending on player?

S
    Last edited by splinter; 05-03-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.
    Let the beauty we love be what we do.
    There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Rumi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information