Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing low (pedal) F's in the General forums; Try scales - go from bottom space F down to pedal and back again. It'll help you hear it and ...
    Bostonish & San Francisco

Re: Playing low (pedal) F's

Try scales - go from bottom space F down to pedal and back again. It'll help you hear it and the first few times you'll be able to figure out how far to kick out your slide. Once you find that "center," concentrate on making everything sound as even as possible in your head. I have trouble with "pedal" Fs unless I'm hearing them very clearly
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

I play it first valve.
    The key is really hearing it before you play the note.
    I regularly play 3 octave F major arpeggios and scales (and lower) to make sure my entire range is fluid from pedal tones to top notes.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Levittown , NY

The best way to play pedals is to keep the same embouchure you use in the staff. A lot of players over compensate by dropping the lower jaw too much,letting the mouthpiece crawl up on their lip and then flapping them. This is what causes the farting sound.It takes practice but I find what works best for me is to approach the pedals with out changing my way of playing,you can feel it in your corners.Plus by practicing and playing them this way ,you get then get the real benefits of pedal tones.

It takes practice,but so does everything else.

New York State USA

OK - my King Silver Flair is more of a deeper tone than most horns, and my mpc also exentuates the deeper darker tone ---- having said that, I think the F down there is very playable in a piece of music (well double or triple tonguing it might give some small problems)---- I take some of my music either (up an octave, or down an octave) to help with my flexibility --- and play many songs with that F. I have a "very freely moving" 3rd valve slide -- and it has to go almost all the way out to play the note on my horn. The lips (embouchure) setup is the same as the low G, and low F# for me --- just the 3rd slide out all the way, and perhaps a bit more air..
    but yeah man - it can be done.

if you can --- another thing that helped me with that note is to do Octave leaps --- leaping from the low F to the F in the staff -- to get the sound just right.
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 12-11-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: octave leap thingy
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

I use my 4 valve Getzen flugel. I don't have any plan for 3 valved horns. 123 plus pulling slides is really tough to make fluid enough for Bach.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend
    Chicago and other places

Hi there! I believe it is possible to play pedals as a regular part of the trumpet range. I regularly work pedal tones into my practice sessions. My opinion would be that to be able to effectively perform the notes you want, you might consider practicing to pitches way below what you actually need. (Sort of like the idea that if you are going to perform a piece at quarter note = 120, you might want to work it up to three or four metronome markings above that!). All I am saying is that if you need a pedal ‘E’, don’t stop practicing at the ‘E’. Work down to way below a pedal ‘C’. Now, a pedal ‘C’, from my experience, was more of a challenge to hit accurately than a double high ‘C’. I don’t remember who or where, but someone told me to practice the pedal ‘C’ with a harmon mute; and that would help ‘dial it in’. They were right!

Pedal tones are funny. Some folks benefit greatly from practicing them, and it does great damage to others. I use pedal tones in my warm up and I never do a warm down. I subscribe to the Bobby Shew school of thought concerning ‘muscle memory’. I want my chops to remember the last thing they successfully played, and to have them stay tight. I end my practice routine, or the last thing I play during a day, is always the highest note I can cleanly and clearly hit and hold. But everyone is different. I do know enough to know that you might have to spend some time practicing pedal tones before you will be able to effectively perform the piece you are looking at. Good luck! And happy ‘trumpeting’!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information