Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing other instruments. in the General forums; My father-in-law told me that his band director in high school put him on trombone for a year to help ...
    Forte User

Re: Playing other instruments.

My father-in-law told me that his band director in high school put him on trombone for a year to help him play better on the trumpet. It sounds more to me like the director needed another trombone in the mix, but My father-in-law said it did help. Maybe it did, but maybe it was just another year behind a mouthpiece; I don't know. Anyway, later he was encouraged by friends to audition for Harry James, but he didn't follow through.

Personally, I notice neither benefit nor detriment to playing my horns. I just like being able to adjust to each of them, and I especially like hearing their different sounds.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Piano User

The only instrument I ever played that I found to be detrimental to my trumpet playing was the violin. It didn't bother my chops, but the repeated blows to the back of my head from other musicians in the room made me dizzy.......
    Duane Massey
    French Besson trumpet
    Lawler Flugehorn
    Piece of crap alto horn

Melbourne Australia

I have the honour of sitting in a band with Mr. Wayne Bowden on Euphonium. He has been Australian Eupho Champion for over 10 years, he has a long history as Australian Champion on Trombone, and plays a mean cornet and trumpet.

What else can be said.
    Practice make perfect on any instrument. it is a case of finding enough time to dedicate to each.

James Morrison is another multi instrumwentalist that comes to mind.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Mezzo Piano User
    San Rafael, CA

I played tenor saxophone for a while, but then I decided I wanted my soul back.
    Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    1938 Olds Super
    Wedge mouthpieces

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

My first year at North Texas, I played trumpet on one lab band and trombone in another. The saxes might not have liked it, but it didn't hurt me none.
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Vienna, Austria, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Reedman1 View Post
    What about cornet and sax in one person?
    That is called saxophrenia and is a certifiable disease! ;)

Pianissimo User

Never had much luck switching back to trumpet from trombone or baritone horn. Woodwinds are not too bad. I play flute a fair amount and play fairly well. I also play ukulele and it doesn't bother me on trumpet at all!!!!!!
    Back in the mid 70's I studied with Carmine Caruso and he told me flute was the perfect woodwind for trumpeters to double on. Jerry Callet also teaches hi TCE to flute players.

I play drums. I know - what does that have to do with trumpet, right? Well, a fair amount actually. Keep in mind that from a chops perspective drumming is neither helpful nor detrimental to my trumpet playing, but I found that the more I drummed, the tighter my time and ability to really play in the pocket as a trumpet player became, and in a really odd way, it has helped my phrasing, although I can't put my finger on exactly how or why that came about. I just know that as I got deeper into drumming, the more I was really considering how I was phrasing. Part of it was the increased ability to play in the pocket, but some of it was also related to things like note length, dynamics through a phrase, push points in a phrase, etc. I think that it was just an increased awareness and improvement of phrase markings and how they relate to the context of the tune I'm playing. It's not that I was a bad player before, because I wasn't, but the last few years I feel that I've become a much more musical trumpet player, and I attribute the change to working with drums. I think it just changes your musical perspective because drums aren't necessarily a melodic instrument, so in order to play them musically, phrasing and dynamics really have to be considered.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

I don't understand why there are any other instruments than trumpets, flugels and cornets? Is it so we have people to show how good we are?
    Conn Vintage 1BR-50
    Selmer Manhattan
    Antoine Courtois C 125L

Pianissimo User
    Roseburg, OR

Some can pull it off, but in general, some combinations are bad. I especially dislike trumpet and French Horn. While you can get out all the notes, you will usually wind up with a bright sound on the horn (which is almost always bad) and your trumpet can get a hooty and unfocused sound. The local high school band director, who also plays in my jazz band, has done this very thing and I "had the talk" with him.

I think trumpet and French Horn are especially bad for developing players. The high school
    has a kid that is just starting to lock in high Ds and Ebs in jazz band, yet the director is having him play Horn ocassionally in wind ensemble. I told the director he ought not to take his top trumpet player and put him on Horn, that he should use lower part trumpet player as it is a better fit. He said he needs to use his best trumpet players because they have better ears and the wind ensemble music has a lot of horn parts that must be covered. I think he is setting up his lead trumpet player for failure. He doesn't sound great on Horn, and his tone is being affected on trumpet.

I realize most high school French Horn players sound like crap, but the composers should take that into account. Forcing your best trumpet players to cover the Horn parts is a bad idea. Last summer I got to hear a multi state region high school band play. The French Horns ruined the concert. They played horribly. Not just cracking notes, but the were horribly out of tune. The director of this band is the main director at a major university and his university wind ensemble is incredible. The summer band also sounded good, at least until the French Horns played.

Why do directors choose such French Horn heavy music for high schools when they do not have solid Horn players? I mean it's hard enough to get a decent sounding trumpet section as it is without taking your best trumpet players and making them double on French Horn.

Rant over......

Wild Thing Copper Bell
    Wild Thing Standard
    Wild Thing Flugel
    Carol Brass Picc

Wedge Custom MPs
    Warburton Backbores
    Reeves Sleeves

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information