Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing solos in the General forums; Originally Posted by Myshilohmy Well it's like a call and response, so my solo is only 4 notes, so it ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Playing solos

Quote Originally Posted by Myshilohmy View Post
    Well it's like a call and response, so my solo is only 4 notes, so it will be easy to memorize.
    Do you know the other part? You can record their part, and can play it back to use it as a practice tool.

Woodlawn, VA

I, too, used to dread playing solos because I was afraid that i would play poorly and embarass myself. However, the more times I played, the easier it became and the less nerves I had to overcome. Now I'm at the point where it's like getting on a roller coaster before the ride (one that you've ridden before, no surprises). I have an anticipation and a slight quickening of my pulse, and I know that the excitement will sharpen my focus and help me to play better. Just keep playing every chance that you get. There just is NO substitute for experience.

1954 Olds Super w/Bach 43 Bell uptilt
    Rudy Muck Duo-Bore .453/.468
    Olds Special cornet
    4 valve Getzen Eterna flugelhorn

"Hindsight is always 20/20"

Piano User
    the Netherlands

Most people get nervous because they're not focussing on what they should focus on: making music. As soon as you start focussing on other things, the musical aspect is forgotten and things start going worse from there.

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico

I found that after about the first 500 gigs I did that nerves didn't even enter into it any more. Just perform as much as you can and eventually the nervous thing will fall away.
    Morelia MM

Pianissimo User
    Clearwater, Florida

Oh man, nervousness killed me in HS -- and it always crept up when I least expected it.

For instance, state solo competition I was great on this piece I played (can't remember the name but it was some import my teacher had) -- but when I played it at a wind ensemble concert at school -- nervous to the point of bombing.

Marching band was a different story though. We were winning state consistently (Indiana, '81 to '83) and it was such a team effort of the band that even when I had my solos I guess the drive to kick it out for the team overrode any personal vanity and fear. Or maybe it was essentially a more relaxed atmosphere compared to solo with piano accomp. only.

Anyway, I feel for you with the nerves thing. They fade after a while thankfully due to everything mentioned above.

New Friend

Well, you can do like Miles did and play giving your back to the audience

Honestly, just experience, I think. It is normal to be a little scared, but that's the point when you got to do something, freeze or start playing? That's your call, and as far as I read you, you can do it great!, so why not to hear you?.

Try with some relaxation - mind blank exercises. It will be helpful.

The only reason to be scared is if you are not prepared. If you have your act together, there is no issue. If anything is left for chance, it will go wrong. Practice with the knowledge that EVERY NOTE COUNTS - EVEN THE LOW AND SLOW ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Van Nuys, CA

Cool Re: Playing solos

It's all about sharing what you know. Your area of expertise is the trumpet. The audience doesn't know how to play, but you do. You should take confidence in that and play at every opportunity in front of an audience. And they will be more appreciative than judgemental, So you shouldn't have anything to worry about. All in all it's about the FUN of sharing what you know.
    New York Bach (1935), Conn Connstellation 38B (1959), LA Benge 3xplus (1972), C. Calicchio 7x, Mouthpieces: Reeves 43WC w/ alternate es69 backbore underpart, Bach 1 1/2c. Cousenon Fluegelhorn, Bach 1 1/2c.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information