Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing top line F in tune in the General forums; Is my F at the top of the staff always going to be sharp without an adjustable first valve ring? ...
    New Friend
    Jacksonville FL

Playing top line F in tune

Is my F at the top of the staff always going to be sharp without an adjustable first valve ring? I am more and more cognizant of this.

My Getzen Eterna does not have one and it does not look easy to add one.

1973 Getzen Severinsen Eterna
    1953 Olds Ambassador Cornet

Re: Playing top line F in tune

adjust using the slide and leave there, or you could just listen and adjust as necessary, using your lip.
    You should always be listenting and adjusting to suit the pitch to stay in tune.
    Just because I press the first valve down and blow dosn't mean it will be in tune.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

The F that you mention is sharp on most trumpets. Please do what the previous poster said only I would not just leave the slide there, as other notes using the first valve can be out of tune.

If that F is hard to control, it can be one of several things - none of which need a first valve compensation.

The first thing to look at is your body use, whether you get tense when playing higher or not. This seems to solve most all intonation issues.

The second possibility is mouthpiece gap. There are very few times where I will recommend getting th gap checked, a sharp G on top of the staff (and F# and F) are one of them.

#3, Gunk in the horn. I have hd one student with a Getzen where the intonation went south. I pulled the tuning slide and looked through the leadpipe. Agar agar in biology class could not have grown more...........

It is interesting that you only mention the F on top of the staff. On your horn, that is almost NEVER sharp because the tubing on the first valve is actually like many horns back then, too long. This was done to compensate for use with the second valve. If anything, only F# and G should be a problem.

I therefore expect that the problem is your playing not being relaxed enough. Breathing and body use are the primary issues!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information