Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Playing without caution in the General forums; Peabody, A very interesting concept. I just have one thought about the final part of it. If you practice all ...
    Tempe, Arizona

A very interesting concept. I just have one thought about the final part of it. If you practice all of these points, wouldn't they all get better together? If you strive to play effortlessly, perfectly, fast, and entirely, wouldn't you be getting better at all of these things? Is that not what the great players do by pushing their limits?
    The author is writing primarily from a jazz context (he is a piano player). Of course the idea is to get better at all of these things. The point is that by practicing in a variety of different ways, not only are you pushing the limits, you are becoming infinitely familiar with what is in front of you. By learning something so completely that it is effortless, requiring no conscious thought, then true mastery can be attained.

It’s not a concept that I can do complete justice to in this response. If you haven’t read Werner’s book, find a copy. You’ll be glad that you did!
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

New Friend
    To chime in, I would definitely recommend the Effortless Mastery book. To augment what Derek said, Kenny is not a piano player......but a PIANO PLAYER!!!!

Seeing as how his is an uber world class jazz pianist, one of my favorites, he is quite the credible source. Some of his playing is exceedingly sophisticated and out there.....but he also has the artistic courage to perform very sparsely voiced and even straight triadic stuff in his concerts and CD's - not harmonically or technically complex by any stretch of the imagination.

Sort of analagous to Phil Smith doing Morning Has Broken as an encore on a masterclass or recital.....

This lack of a need to impress sends an incredibly powerful artistic message, as well as speaking volumes about the performer's self confidence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information