Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Please recommend trumpet CDs in the General forums; Hi Everyone! I am looking for some good trumpet CDs to listen to. DVDs would be even better. But I ...
    New Friend
    Olympia, WA

Please recommend trumpet CDs

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for some good trumpet CDs to listen to. DVDs would be even better.
    But I am not a fan of classical or Jazz (Hope this doesn't get me in trouble )

I am looking for songs like Danny Boy, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, The Entertainer, etc.

I just got a CD that I really like called Mariachi Magic. So Latin is good too.

Thanks a lot,
    Yamaha YTR-8335RGS
    Yamaha YTR-8345RGS
    Yamaha YFH-731
    1973 Olds Ambassador Trumpet
    1965 Olds Ambassador Cornet

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: Please recommend trumpet CDs

John Thomas' Secrets of Trumpet
    Maynard Ferguson at the Top
    Maynard Ferguson The Wild World Of Maynard Ferguson
    Rapheal Mendez compilation which can only be found on Ebay(It's very very good!)
    Clark Terry NYU
    Toots at NYU
    Phil Woods at NYU
    Also, Check with Seeley music, they'll help you out big time
    Arturo Sandoval- Trumpet Evolution
    MF- Live at Jimmy's
    Clark Terry /Oscar Peterson- Satch & Josh
    Miles Davis- Kinda Blue, Birth of the Cool
    Alison Balsom- Bach ( unbelievable control and beauty)
    Herb Alpert Greatest Hits
    Freddie Hubbard- Hub Cap
    Lee Morgan- Sidewinder
    Raphael Mendez-Anything!
    Al Hirt's Greatest hits
    Doc Severensen w/Eric Kunzel
    Louis Armstrong- Hot 5 or Hot 7
    Carl Saunders and Phil Woods -The Pink Panther
    Clifford Brownw/Max Roach- just about anything
    Ingrid Jensen -Here on Earth
    Dizzy Gillespie & Roy Eldridge- Diz&Roy (must have!)
    Harkenberger-(I don't know a lot about this guy but I hear he's scary good. I'll be picking up one of his CD's this month)
    Ellington The Great Paris Concerts w/Cat Anderson
    Donald Byrd & Art Farmer- Youngbloods
    Michel Legrand -Jazz
    Harry James Grteatest hits
    Don Ellis Live at the Fillmore ( just unbelievable)
    Wynton Marsalis- Standards
    Hope this Helps
    Last edited by Markie; 02-16-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Piano User
    New Hampshire

Anything by and featuring:

a trumpet player.

It really doesn't matter whom -- if it's bad you can learn, if it's good you can learn.

New Friend
    New London, CT

what is the point of this site if someone is always going to say nothing matters. No matter what people ask they get a response from someone saying anything is good and it's all personal. If someone asks for opinions on there favorite horn, orchestra, mp, etc someone always has to say it's personal, or they are all good, or we have to hear you, or get a teacher. All performers, horns, mp's etc are not equal. there is a reason some brands are not used by top pros. there are "standard" recordings. Most of these things are at the top because they have stood the test of time. That being said. I think that you should give both jazz and classical trumpeters another chance. I recommend Hakan Hardenberger for classical miles davis or clifford brown for jazz.
    C: Bach 229 25H/Prana C1-1S1
    Bb: Bach 37/Prana C1-1S1, Prana B4LD

Piano User

You should get spotify! You get more music then you can shake a stick at, it's free, and if you want it on the move, get a membership and get it on your phone!

Or you could research ways to record music. I won't discuss them here.
    Main Horns:
    Will Spencer UK Bb trumpet
    Besson Sovereign

Curry 2M
    Curry 2DC

Piano User
    New Hampshire

The point is that it really doesn't matter and that any search at Amazon or at the local Barnes & Noble store is going to yield just as good results as asking on a group like this. And by listing those we think people should consider, we also do a disservice to the many fine trumpeters and recordings which we don't list. I've seen way too many people get such recommendations from others and when I mention why they didn't consider so-and-so, they reply because nobody recommended him/her.

You recommend for jazz Miles Davis and Clifford Brown -- does that mean that the OP shouldn't consider any other jazz trumpeters like Freddie Hubbard or Louis Armstrong or Bix Beiderbecke (I know, he's really a cornetist) or Don Cherry? Of course not -- I wouldn't for an instant think that you wouldn't really recommend those artists. Or a hundred others. How about Joe Wilder? Doc Severinsen?

You see, the real list is limitless practically, and to restrict one's search to a few Cds that members of a group like this suggest is to cut oneself off from the serendipity of discovering an artist none of us are aware of.

But in your complaint about my reply, I notice you didn't actually recommend any particular CDs, just artists. If you really think that my reply about how it doesn't matter was a poor response, then shouldn't you have taken a more precise track yourself and actually recommended specific CDs by those artists?

Or doesn't it really matter?

New Friend
    New London, CT

What you said is not wrong. There is something to be gained regardless of the quality of the recording. The problem on this site is a larger one of shooting down anyone who has a question (which you did not do). This was more of a general complaint. For example, if someone asks a question about who they consider to be the top ten orchestras in the world a string of replys about how it doesn't matter and it's subjective and there is no value in rating orchestras. Of course it's subjective! They were asking for an opinion. If someone asks for playing advice a string of replies comes back telling the person that without hearing them play no one can possibly offer any advice on what should be done. Everyone just shoots everyone down. I apologize for posting what I did in this thread. You were not doing exactly what bothers me so much. While you are right that any suggestions will leave someone great out does not mean that we can not offer suggestions anyway. Unless we make a completely comprehensive list we can only give our opinion and let that be a starting point for the person asking the question.

Miles Davis start with Kind of Blue (an almost universally accepted classic), for Hardenberger the CD with the Haydn, Hertel, etc, and for Clifford Brown any of the Rollins/Brown quintet stuff.
    C: Bach 229 25H/Prana C1-1S1
    Bb: Bach 37/Prana C1-1S1, Prana B4LD

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Wow, I love this site.

I believe that although the list of great albums, DVD, Performers, mouthpieces, horns, and Technique maybe limitless. The "trumpeteer" did ask for suggestions in that case.

Therefore, I suggest:

(drumroll please as I am taking a stance)

The Classical Wyntonn CD

I can't remember the name, it is the one with "Carnival of Venice" on it
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Forte User
    Northern California

On the mellow/pops side:
    George Graham, "How About Me"
    Dave C. Norman, "Love Lost"
    Arturo Sandoval, Chris Botti, more - the upcoming "A Time for Love"

Try Arturo Sandoval and Claudio Roditi
    Also try anything by Santana; there's a lot of good trumpet playing in his stuff
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

I don't know how James Morrison escaped the list so far. Here is a link to his website with his CD's listed. If you have not heard him, start here. He is a scream (literally and figuratively).
    Great news! A number of my CDs have been ?out of stock? for a while now, we have just organized new distribution that will mean ALL CDs will be easily available. Should be ready very soon. In the meantime you can still check which ones are curren
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information