Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pocket trumpets in the General forums; I have a pocket trumpet which is useful for practicing when I can't take my trumpet along. I find it ...
    New Friend
    New York

Pocket trumpets

I have a pocket trumpet which is useful for practicing when I can't take my trumpet along. I find it more fun than buzzing on a mouthpiece. It's plenty loud, too -- only problem is, it sounds like a small bugle. Does anyone have an opinion on pocket trumpets? Are there any which don't have slight intonation quirks?
    -- Billy

Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Pocket trumpets

Pocket trumpets generally aren't top quality instruments. Benge has one. They're kind of pricey and I think they play more like a cornet than a trumpet. I have a Marcato. HornTrader sells one for $750 or $800 in silver. These aren't bad, but I would still have reservations on playing on a gig.

New Friend
    New York

Thanks for your reply. One pocket trumpet is enough for me! I need a second full-sized horn to keep at the office. In New York, people want a lot for any old beat up instrument, pawn shops included. I guess I'll try a mail order next time.

Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:47 am Post subject: Mini-Trumpet with the MAX!!!

Hi, all!

I've recently had the privilege of enjoying practicing on the Colin MAX Pocket Trumpet, which Alan Colin sent up to me while I was in the in-patient rehabilitation phase of my total knee

This horn is surprisingly good! Or maybe not so surprisingly good, since I've been a loyal MAX musician on the big horn for years now.

It doesn't blow quite like my own MAX, of course, since it's wound more tightly to achieve the pocket trumpet size, but it blows as big as many full-sized horns out on the market!(Probably due to the extremely large, full-sized bell on the horn!)

The intonation is also excellent, throughout all the registers!

And the suppleness of this horn makes it very easy to play those famous Colin Flexibility Studies (not to mention the Del Staigers Carnival of Venice introduction!).

Response to tonguing is also really good.

And at a price of $600, you can't go wrong!

I have to tell you that I'm delighted by this horn, and am seriously considering recommending it as an alternative to student cornets and trumpets for my beginning trumpet students.

Alan has done it again! (made a GRRRRRRREAT trumpet!)

Do yourself a favor and check it out:

The Pocket Max

Anyone who's available to come over for a lesson between now and ITG is welcome to try the horn out with me!

Take Care!
    Mizpah, Jeanne Gabriel Pocius
    TPIN's Chop Doc
    Author of "Trumpeting, By Nature"
    Outskirts Press

Thread Information