Trumpet Discussion Discuss poo (I had to sell the 'r') in the General forums; Hello all, I presently have a Xeno 8335 in my posession that I am borrowing from a local dealer. However, ...
    Halifax, NS CANADA

poo (I had to sell the 'r')

Hello all,

I presently have a Xeno 8335 in my posession that I am borrowing from a local dealer. However, I am a fourth year music student and poor as hell!

My question is this: How can I make money as a university student to pay for this horn? (or to convince the horn shop of some sort of monthly plan) I've already cancelled my cable, took on a student (about to cancel internet), job as campus police, but still barley paying rent, bills, food etc etc etc.

I'm sure some, if not most of us have been there. What have you done?

fyi: right now I play on a bach 180 strad and wouldn't really want to get rid of it, but the yamaha plays fantastically. I guess I could trade in my bach if it boiled down to it.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Eric S.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

Forte User
    Most will sell on a plan because they charge you interest and finance the horn so more money for them in the long run. But of course they are already going to be charging you too much for the horn( maybe 500 or more than what you could get it for at WWBW).

IF the Bach plays good enough to keep then maybe you should play on it for a while and forget about the xeno until you have cash.

If you are barley making rent then the last thing you need to take on unneeded debts.

Separate your needs from your wants. IF it is a need find a way to make it happen, work nights do what ever it takes. if it is a want, try to wait on it or sell the bach .

Good luck!

Evansville In

How poor?

My thought - don't go in debt, bad habit. Good move on the cable - get a library card. Internet - does the school have a hot spot for students? Or maybe a computer lab - buy yourself a USB jump drive. Eating - I developed a taste for peanut butter and pot pies. Water is good for you.

I worked at a movie theater (30 hr wk job) then a clothing store (40 hr wk job) and carried 19 hrs. Not much of a social life with all that. But you need to decide what is important to you.

When you are ready for the Xeno check out the RGS.

Good luck.
    Old Dam Community Band
    Olds Recording
    B&S Challenger II Cornet
    Conn 6B
    Conn 36B
    Stomvi Elite
    King Flugel
    Getzen Eterna

Eric, my only advice is to:

keep on keepin on
    keep your eyes open for better paying work opportunities
    Cut back on any extra expenses you can.

Also, if you can get yourself firmly lodged into the local wedding scene as a liturgical trumpet player, wedding season is going to kick off in March and that could bring in some extra cash too. Unfortunately, depending on where you live, cracking into that scene may not be that easy. I tried once and ended up gigging Latin Band instead. Go figure. But, that is out here in the DC area where there are more fantastic military trumpet players than you can shake a stick at that are already deeply entrenched in the local wedding scene.

Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes to your situation. What I have listed above is my only advice.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information