Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Poor tone in the General forums; People always say, 'practice soft long-tones'. I think if you want to develop a muscular embouchure, it's important to play ...
    Pianissimo User
    New York City

Re: Poor tone

People always say, 'practice soft long-tones'. I think if you want to develop a muscular embouchure, it's important to play them soft, medium volume and loud. it can be done by starting pp, building to ff, then back to pp on the same big breath, or separately; take a big breath and play softly until you're out of air, then do a loud one, do a mf one.
    This will help with tone matching as well as learning how to get the most out of your horn tone-wise, and will teach you (general 'you' - nobody specific, for those with delicate egos) how to achieve a clear, strong tone which you can later manipulate to your taste.

Plainview, NY

I haven't been happy with my tone for decades. I took a lesson with a guy a few years ago that helped me improve. He had me practice for a few weeks without playing any higher than third space C. He told me to buzz some melodies with just my lips, no horn, no mouthpiece. Here's what was key - he said I should buzz at a very low pitch. A few minutes with just lips, then a few minutes on the mouthpiece while trying to recreate the feel of those loose relaxed lips. Then, on to the trumpet with slow repeated scales and keeping the mouthpiece on the lips the whole time. The point was to get the center of the lip relaxed so that it was free to vibrate and create tone. Higher pitches would come from higher air speed and tension in the surrounding muscles supporting the vibrating part of the lip. This worked for me. Over time I developed a different embouchure that helped me get a clearer nicer tone. Good luck.

San Pedro

My 2 cents ... practice Arbans Page 125 ( I am attaching a video someone made because there are multiple editions). I wouldn't play them exactly like this, I would suggest slowing it down and tagging every note... lots of air and a light tongue. You should be able to make each note pop.
    give it 3-4 weeks .... if you don't notice an improvement then you should probably seek an instructor to evaluate you technique.

If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Vienna, Austria, Europe

Go into GYAT mode - stands for "Get Yourself A Teacher". I am certain someone here at TM can help with names, addresses - or even lessons.
    coolerdave likes this.

Thank you everyone for your help Anthony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information