Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practice - Less is More? in the General forums; I try to practice every day of the work week, every morning before work. Weekends are pretty much a crap ...
    Mezzo Forte User
    Ft. Worth, TX

Practice - Less is More?

I try to practice every day of the work week, every morning before work. Weekends are pretty much a crap shoot, because we always have lots of stuff going on, but I never miss practices during the week. It seems that I'm often crunched for time and some days can only muster a 15-minute warm-up and a few exercises. I find I'm then rushed to get to work on time and so start the day (and sometimes the week) in a very poor frame of mind. Mondays seem to be the worst days, but they are by no means exclusive.

So the last two weeks I just skipped Monday. Didn't even try. I took my time with breakfast, got to work early, got my week kicked off in an orderly fashion, put in some extra time on the clock and got stuff done, then had Tues-Fri to practice leisurely for an hour or more each day.

I found I was more focused and had much better practices. I didn't feel rushed or stressed, and that made it easier to play correctly without too much pressure. I also found myself paying closer attention to the details, and avoiding mistakes.

More importantly, I find I'm enjoying the trumpet a lot more than I have in a while.
    “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”

~Michael Jordan

Re: Practice - Less is More?

A sign that hangs back stage where I play says "keep calm and carry on" I see that as to just relax. For me practice time is also tough but I try to keep a routine. I've always been the type taut if I push to hard I lock up, but if I keep it cool I do much better
    tobylou8 and neal085 like this.
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

If it's not fun, it ain't fun!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Our bodies are not consistent machines. The best advice if you are practicing smart is: miss as few days as possible. Our success is based on habit building, not 6pack building. Keeping that in mind, focusses the player towards lots of low impact repetitions. If we have a very heavy day or group of days playing, the day off is a simple survival strategy.
    trickg, BigDub and dblues like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

San Pedro

as I was reading this it crossed my mind that we trumpet players sure do think a lot...
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Forte User
    The Netherlands

No, wishful thinking.
    Bay Area Brass likes this.

Hillsborough, NJ

A lot of us here are not professionals. We are not rated by any employer. If this setup seems to have hit a sweet spot for you, that's the one person who should have a say. I wouldn't begin to say you're wrong if this is working for you!
    We didn't all come out of the same mold- everybody's different.
    BigDub comments welcome!
    my avatar is my painting PM for more info
    Gmonady's editor in chief

Forte User
    Near Portland, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by coolerdave View Post
    as I was reading this it crossed my mind that we trumpet players sure do think a lot...
    Sure we do. The mode of sound production causes that. It is a rather unnatural thing, our bodies/brains have a lot of adaptation to go through to bring it to the level we aim for. Unless you're Sergei or Raphael Mendez, perhaps. Maurice Andre said once "with the trumpet, everything happens inside." The air column, the shape changes to the face muscles, all this constitutes a rather special kind of yoga. Makes us think...
    coolerdave likes this.

Selmer Radial, Bb.
    Yamaha YTR4420E, C.
    1930 Couesnon cornet

A mind that masters the breath
    Creates strength (Lao-Tzu).

Lagos, Nigeria

Quote Originally Posted by coolerdave View Post
    Bit of a pity that there's no real equivalent of Arban's Complete and Celebrated Method for learning how to think. Little wonder the world is such a muddled up place.
    tobylou8 and neal085 like this.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Monke Mystery Horn - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereð unfågne eorl, þonne his ellen dëah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Travelers Rest, SC
    neal085 and Sethoflagos like this.
    Getzen 3850 Custom cornet - 70s Bach 180ML37 - 70s Bach CL 229 25C - Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn - CarolBrass CTR-5000L-YLT-SLB - CarolBrass pocket trumpet - Bill Jones Custom Piccolo - 40 Conn 80A Cornet - 55 Conn 18A - ACB Doubler Rose Flugelhorn - Dieter Otto flugelhorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information