Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practice Routine in the General forums; Originally Posted by kctrumpeteer Yes the player has to practice and play and work on getting better so it is ...

Re: Practice Routine

Quote Originally Posted by kctrumpeteer View Post
    Yes the player has to practice and play and work on getting better so it is ultimately up to the trumpet player on how much work he wants to put into getting better. But the original poster basically said that he already played with a group and playing in college and now found himself not as good or more 'average' because he was now surrounded by a better group of trumpet players so he could either spin his wheels or seek advice.
    Who says he's going to spin his wheels? When I rolled into my first Army band assignment at the end of April of 1990, fresh from the Armed Forces School of Music, I found that 1.) The school didn't really prepare me for what I was going to deal with in a real band and 2.) I was surrounded by players who were much better than me, mostly due to having a ton more experience. So did I go out and get a teacher to come up to speed? Nope - I hit the ground running and by the end of the summer, I came up to their level. I got into the practice room, worked on the music I needed to learn, opened my ears, and worked on my chops. On my own. Without a teacher. This isn't to say that I wasn't picking the brains of the guys around me - I was - but it wasn't done in a structured lesson kind of a way with a specific teacher. I assessed the situation, got to work on what I needed to do to get the gig done, and asked questions that I felt were necessary along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by kctrumpeteer View Post
    No DUH... obviously.... but that is not a bad fact I would say those are all very valid reasons for wanting to get lessons... ultimately what you are still saying is that an instructor can point you in the right direction and then you have to decide on taking the advice and actually working on it. I get a lot of my improvements and experience by playing with a small brass group, but having someone to take lessons from helps tweak and improve my technique as well.
    I've gone back and read your posts so I know where you are as a player - you probably think you need the lessons, but you probably already know what your teacher is telling you when you go to lessons. Do you really need the affirmation? Is your teacher REALLY telling you anything you don't already know or can't figure out for yourself? If the answer to that is 'yes,' then you probably do need the teacher. However, I'd be willing to bet that if you really stopped to think about it and do a self-assessment, you could probably start to structure your own practice routine without a teacher and improve just as quickly. Also, it's possible that our young buck original poster is a more capable player than you are - he didn't take a 20 year break from the horn so he needs to refine rather than to rebuild.

Is there really that much mystery to being able to play the trumpet with enough facility to gig? I never thought so and I don't consider myself to be soaked with natural ability and talent. I've learnd much of what I know about playing the horn through trial and error, and by working out of the same method books everyone else uses to learn the basic techniques required to play.

The original poster seems to be concerned about being "the best" among his peers. In truth who really cares who is "best?" By his own admission he's not majoring in music, so if he develops enough chops to play reliably enough to make MUSIC and to gig, isn't that enough?
    Last edited by trickg; 08-27-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend

Hey guys!

Thanks for the input, I actually had a private instructor all through jr high and high school. but as I originally stated, I didnt take advantage of the situation (maybe because the instructor was my godfather and I was receiving free lessons). Unfortunately, I'm a little strapped for cash (poor college student...) so private lessons now aren't really going to happen. However, I do believe he set me up with good enough "fundamentals" to know how to gauge myself. As I've said while incorporating the feed back from the posters here as well as some other sites I've visited I've managed to improve myself quite a bit in the past month or so. I've always been amazed by how easy high notes seem to come from elite players, not saying I'm an elite player, but while playing in front of the mirror I dont look "tortured" to squeak out high notes anymore. on a slightly humorous note, I've decided to consider my trumpet my girlfriend, especially considering the time i've been spending with her lately

Schilke X3 Bb Trumpet

"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you forever" -Chris Botti

"You've never been kissed until you've kissed a trumpet player "

"Do you see what you get, do you see what you get when you mess with the WAAAAARRIOR!?" -Christopher Turk

The Wide Brown Land

Quote Originally Posted by Dupac View Post
    Hem, Ted, ... Was she reading what you were typing ?
    Dupac - I don't know, she may have been, but she is able to support my mad tendencies to do stuff that is a little off the wall. I trust her judgement - after all, I respect her taste in men .

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information