Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practice routine survey in the General forums; Anything can train a human ..... I have blue jays pecking at my window when the bird feeders are empty. ...

Re: Practice routine survey

Anything can train a human .....

I have blue jays pecking at my window when the bird feeders are empty. They woke me up one time doing this. And my cat, Mr. Hobbes, has trained me to get up at 5 a.m. (he's like an alarm clock) to either let him out or in or feed him. He sits outside my door and gradually gets louder (with the whining), like a really nice alarm clock, until I'm awake.

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Edmonton, Alberta

1. Band director (grades 7-9), play in and direct a community big band (The Barefoot Big Band)
    2. About 18 years on trumpet - piano for 37 or so.
    3. Vizzuti warmups, long tones, scales, lip slurs, intervals, etc. Then play tunes from real book, improv over backing tracks. Cool down, low chromatics, long tones. If time is limited I only do the warm ups. When time and chops permit I work on range but I figure that a strong and beautiful, useful range is more functional. I let the other cats in the band leave with bleeding lips!
    4. Because my practice is either early morning or late evening, I usually use a silent brass mute and I play the hell out of it. I find the exercise of forcing against the mute builds my endurance and range.
    Dale Chapman
    Music Director
    >Archbishop MacDonald High School
    >The Barefoot Big Band
    >Cosmopolitan Music Society Big Band

Martin Committee Deluxe (1956)
    Schlub Brass Bb rotary trumpet (Monette B6LVS1)
    Cannonball 789RL Mad Meg Bavarian Lion
    King 602 cornet
    Conn 40A 1934 cornet (Monette B5)
    Phaeton 2600 Flugelhorn (Monette FLG-2)
    Tromba Ultralight Trumpet

New Friend

1) High school sophomore aspiring to be a college music major and eventually professional musician

2) 3 years

3) 2 hours in three 40 minute sessions.
    Session #1:warm up and long tones using Clarke's Elementary Studies, flow
    studies using modified exercises from Clarke's Technical Studies,
    and exercises from Clarke's Studies (played straight or modified)

Session #2:quick warm consisting of scales and improvised long tones,
    articulation exercise from Clarke's Characteristic Studies,
    exercises from Arban's Method (which ones depends on my goal for
    the day)

Session #3:scales and pieces for school ensembles, solos, and learning repertoire

4) When ever you have trouble with something, instead of just doing mindless repetitions of it, stop playing then brainstorm possible causes for the problem, and then brainstorm solutions and try them one by one until you find the one that works the best.

I had to take an involuntary 3 week break from trumpet so I'm not practicing nearly this much because I'm trying to gradually build back up to having the endurance to practice as much as I usually do.
    Last edited by NotMyName; 07-11-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: spelling

New Friend
    São Paulo, Brasil

1) Amateur musician, mainly disturbing friend´s rehearsals and sometimes adding value by playing the drums which I do since I was a kid
    2) 3 years with the trumpet, one of them taking it seriously and having classes
    3) Start with long tones from c to c (last c in the staff), then Chickowitz flow, than Urbans Flow (c, d, ee, d e ff,...) increasing until I feel I'am starting to force the note. then I like to play the first scores of "First book of practical studies" - Getchell, and finally I try to improvise something (but aint trained in scales, so you get the quality of it)
    My foccus now is entirely into getting to play the instrument correctly, my teacher doesn´t like me playing songs or improvising because he believes I'm not ready yet, even so I cant help myself from trying to come up with something cool

4) one day I will be a respected trumpet player
    "Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones, you´re invited!" - Alex the Large - Clockwork Orange

"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly! If a strange man offers you a ride, I say, take it!" - Abe Simpson

1. Student... music performance (going into my fourth year) and accounting double-major.

2. I picked it up 13 years ago, but two years of that I didn't play. I've had 6 years worth of lessons.

3. Well, right now I'm only practicing 45 min. a day....actually, last week I was doing only 30 min/day.... anyway, about 35 minutes of my current routine consists of, well, routines mixed with playing similarly related stuff I want to play. For instance, I'll play 10 minutes of lip slur routines, followed by a few lip slurs of whatever I feel like doing. Oh, and of course the routines are much below my maximum playing ability. The goal is to solidify all the necessary skills.

5 minutes: long, soft-as-possible tones, to improve my tone and lip response.
    10 minutes: Irons 24 groups of exercises, #7 and #8, quarter = 120, to solidify my flexibility.
    10 minutes: Clarke exercises #1... dotted quarter = 80 bpm, to solidify my fingerings and soft playnig.
    5 minutes: Arban's scales, quarter = 80... to solidify my tonguing
    5 minutes: rest
    5 minutes: Arban's First Studies... to solidify my long, slow playing, which is currently very weak.

Then I play for 10 minutes doing for whatever I feel like. Then I'm done for the day. In a few more weeks hopefully I'll start doing a lot more NON-routine stuff... I'll be playing in groups again very shortly, too.

4. My chops were in a bad, bad situation from Oct '10 to April '11, so I stopped playing until just three weeks ago. So I'm a semi-comeback player. I will also mention that I was NEVER consistent with routines.... I seriously wish my trumpet teachers had drilled into me the fact that some of the stuff they assigned were ROUTINES, not just stuff I can skip when I feel I can play them well. It's probably a big reason why my chops started hurting so badly last year (though it was also just taking too much playing on my plate).

I'm majoring in music mainly due to a music scholarship. Oh, and if you've got talent and perseverance and love of music, and want to live as a musician, then I might suggest that it would be a GREAT idea to major in music at a high-quality school.... yes, even if a performance degree itself is nearly worthless.

I'm not taking lessons at the moment, but I will again soon. (hence, these routines did not come from my teacher)

New Friend
    New Jersey

1) High school sophomore, trumpet player in concert band, jazz band, marching band, and the school musical
    2) Almost 3 years (3 in september!)
    3)My daily schedule varies depending on how much time I have, if I can I try to finish it, but when I've got less time I usually take out buzzing, scales, arpeggios, solos, clark, schlossberg (in that order).

Breaks scattered throughout

5 min buzzing,
    30 min long tones
    20-30 min flow studies
    30 min clark studies
    30 schlossberg drills
    15-20 scales
    15 arpeggios
    20 solos

4) I love trumpet

Charlotte NC

Quote Originally Posted by lukejackson View Post
    Practice routine survey
    I want to know what everyone's daily practice routine consists of.

I understand that everyone is different and will require slightly different things and proportions, but that's exactly why I want to know. Please include in your response:

1. Your major area of study (professional orchestral, pro chamber, student, etc.)

2. How many years of experience you have.

3. Your daily routine, including total length of practice routine, objectives, breaks, etc.

4. Any other notable information worth sharing in such a post.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    1. Student. Community Band, Churches, Taps for veterans, Big Band, National Anthem performances.

2. 8. 6years in public school followed by a 12 year break. 2 yrs this time around.

3. Lip Slurs, Scales,Intervals, Try to learn tunes by ear, Arban, Gordon, Clarke, Schlossberg, Concone. Not all in one day. I mix it up. Length varies as well. Usually no less than 1 hour. Sometimes as much as 3. Don't rest nearly as much as I should. Probably what slows my progress at times.
    Marcinkiewicz CG 470 Bach 3C
    Buzz City Brass
    StarDusters Big Band

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information