Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practice routine survey in the General forums; Practice routine survey I want to know what everyone's daily practice routine consists of. I understand that everyone is different ...
    New Friend

Practice routine survey

Practice routine survey
    I want to know what everyone's daily practice routine consists of.

I understand that everyone is different and will require slightly different things and proportions, but that's exactly why I want to know. Please include in your response:

1. Your major area of study (professional orchestral, pro chamber, student, etc.)

2. How many years of experience you have.

3. Your daily routine, including total length of practice routine, objectives, breaks, etc.

4. Any other notable information worth sharing in such a post.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Practice routine survey

1. Trumpet
    2. 30 years
    3. Slurring, tonguing and scales (Some from Charles Butler, the rest from Arban), takes 45 minutes to an hour, resting when tired, but sets me up for the rest of the day.
    4. The biggest trick is a willingness to sound bad and the persistence to make it sound good.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

New York State USA

I'm a comebacker and occasional church solos - that's about all so far in 31 months. Mostly 2-3 hours a day -- then a light day the following day.
    20 minutes warmup usually the typical slurs, scales, tonguing - from low F# below the staff to only the G on top of the staff. then rest 10 minutes.. do 30 minute long tones (usually in the staff - 2nd line G to G on top of staff, long tone scales) play 10 rest 2-3 min. - -THE last set try to do at least 4-5 beats minimum of long scales as high as I can go that day -------- then 20 min of scales usually with tonguing - mostly triplets - all scales, even chromatic. rest 10 min - Play some songs for 30 - 45 minutes, depending on how I feel with little or no breaks (to build endurance -- but mostly in the staff stuff). AND if I feel like it -- maybe even some arban's stuff, some intervals, octave slurs, to finish the day --- and usually warm down with low notes below the staff, and/or pedal tones below that.
    light days -- just a lower, less intense day (or sometimes 2) to recoop.

Dayton, Ohio

1. Trumpet - Eddie Brookshire Quintet
    2. 43 years of experience
    3. Daily routine is 1 hour length of practice routine, to first warm up on long tones; pet my dogs; practice scales, modes to get then under my fingers; pet my dogs; start working through songs; pet my dogs; encorporating patterns; pet my dogs; tightning on slotting the tough jumps; pet my dogs; improvisational enovations.
    4. Love to work in range builders as two of my dogs begin to harmonize when I do this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

1. Trumpet - Professional orchestral, chamber, and solo work.
    2. Too many years to mention (more than 50)
    3. Daily routine is about an hour in length, first I work on long tones; flexibility studies;
    single and double tonguing; interval studies.
    4. I then work on the literature as to whatever I am doing at the time.
    Presently working on solo literature and some brass quintet things. Total is 2-3 hours
    with breaks all along the way.

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Harry James and Bunny Berigan Method Books

Sometimes every day, sometimes every other day, sometimes two or three times a week.

I play lead in Detroit's busiest swing/big band.

Been playing over 50 years, professionally over 40 years.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

1 Incoming freshman in college. Trumpet performance with a jazz focus.
    2 6 years
    3 everyday, time varies, I spent today in the woodshed, if I have things to do, I will try and get an hour at least. I use a lot of space in my practice. I like to free buzz at first just to fire the lips up and then do some mouthpiece buzzing, just simple things to try and minimalize the fuzz on those first tones. When I say woodshed, I mean that I have been working a lot on scales and modes. Getting the modes under my fingers while reading the chord changes off the iReal b app. I haven't been working much out of any methods lately. I do like to work on things like the charlier etudes. Things that will keep me in touch with the classical side of trumpet without making me feel like a reading machine. Oh, also, I have been using Ricci Adams' for ear training. Really great site! Little bit a day, started getting the trumpet out and matching pitch too. Just trying to get better at communicating. also, lots of listening! Branford said something about how he would do studies over different artists, I thought that was a good idea so I have been working on satchmo. Listening exclusively to him, trying to internalize his sound and style , transposing, reading his biography. It's a lot of fun, and it's not too overwhelming if you take little bites :) I may move on to clifford brown next. Who knows!
    4. music, honesty and swing.
    Last edited by ltg_trumpet; 07-09-2011 at 11:50 PM.
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Trumpet performance with a jazz focus.
    Major in something you get a job with. Performance is great, but on a gig no one has ever asked if I got my performance degree or not. You can play or you can't.

Major in computer science, or engineering, business, or even music education... When I was in school (20+ years ago) they used to call music performance degrees "pre-unemployment"! LOL! They were right!

If you can play good enough to make a living then it doesn't matter whether you went to college or not... BUT, if later you want to get a teaching gig, or <god forbid> a job where you have to work somewhere you will happy that you got a degree in something useful.
    (no english lit, no history, no economics, no philosophy.... seriously!)

Sorry to hijack the thread!

Hong Kong

1. Professional Trumpeter: commercial, theatre, classical, jazz

2. playing for 31 years, professional for 20 years

3. warm-up: flow studies, chromatics (5 - 10 minutes)
    routine: pedal and double pedals, flexibilities, scales, tonguing (mainly single, but always some double and triple), interval studies. I will then repeat some of these on a smaller trumpet depending on what work i have coming up. (~30 mins on each element)
    practice: jazz transcriptions, performance repertoire, reading (30 - 60+ minutes)

4. The focus is always primarily on sound, and the musical phrase.
    This is my ideal routine, which I would do 5-6 days a week. When on the road, or in the midst of a show season etc then I generally have to resort to warm up and just touching each element of my routine, with maybe only one day a week completing my full session.
    I always try to rest 15+ minutes between elements.

Adrian Kelly
    t/wb: @AdrianTpt
    fb: Adrian Kelly

Adrian is an endorsing artist for the Conn-Selmer company, and performs on Vincent Bach instruments. Adrian performs on mouthpieces by Stork Custom.

Adrian's latest CD "Chinese Whispers 細語" is available now from

New Friend

Sophomore music education major
    I've played for 10 years
    Most of my routine is based off of the Adam's method. As a general rule, I rest as much as I play. I try to do my routine during the morning hours, focus on etudes after lunch, and solo material in the evening. This gives me about 3-6 hours in between practice sessions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information