Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practice vs. Horns in the General forums; No one ever got good buying a new horn. -Kevin...

Practice vs. Horns

No one ever got good buying a new horn.

-Kevin

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Practice vs. Horns

Quote Originally Posted by TangneyK
    No one ever got good buying a new horn.

-Kevin

While this may be true in some situations, if someone feels more comfortable playing that new horn or just likes it better then it can drive them to practice more. If they are practicing the right things it can make them a better player.

I say this because before I bought my new horn, I was losing the will to play because of my situation. Now, as you see every day, I practice and have found a real love for music that I thought I would never find again after 10 years of spending most of my time at work doing everything except playing my trumpet.
    Mike
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Piano User
    i just got a new/old horn and I'm a lot gooder than i was last week.
    I'm not working nearly as hard as i was.
    i play better with less effort.
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

Piano User
    When I bought my first Yamaha pro horn I was so sick of the sound coming out of the bell of my intermediate model I barely wanted to play anymore. I love music and the trumpet but it was almost painful to play on a horn when I knew that the sounds coming out were being severely limited by my equiptment. When I got the new trumpet it was like a breath of fresh air. I didn't know my scales any better but the sound coming out the end of the bell was like night and day(at least to me, and that's what matters, right?).

I agree with Fresh Brewed as well. I'm in favour of anything anyone can do to make themselves practice more often and more intelligently. One tool I picked up recently to help with this are the first Volume of Alan Vizzutti's method book. As I looked through it I noticed that it was very reminiscient of Arbans but I liked the engraving better and it was only a third as thick. It was much more approachable but just as useful. I haven't touched my arban's in two years but I haven't put this new book down yet. Another tool I can't wait to get my hands on is Smart Music studio. It's got to be the most intelligent way to practice. It's the cost of two sessions with an accompanist, you can record yourself with the accompaniment, and you can change tempos and keys.

And yes, if you got the money and you're not fooling youself too much about what a new horn can do for you then go ahead and knock yourself out.

Pianissimo User

Horn vs practice

I say both!
    Obviously as a new comeback player, I could play any of a hundred good instruments and with good lessons and plenty of practice, I'll get better.

But, I love buying stuff. Can't stop. I like the research, trying new stuff, bidding on ebay, strolling through stores, the whole thing.

Fortunately, I can afford to do this and, I practice with the same instrument every day. The others get played when I have time for more. One day, I'll run through the growing collection and find what I really like. For now, I like them all!

I am concerned though for the young and gullible. I know I am playing a game. I'm responsible if I play recklessly. It is a bad thing if young students become convinced that they need to spend thousands of dollars to play in the hig school band.

The "superhorn" conversation is very exciting. I can imagine myself as a teenager thinking that one of these was neccessary in order for me to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetpimp
    When I bought my first Yamaha pro horn I was so sick of the sound coming out of the bell of my intermediate model I barely wanted to play anymore. I love music and the trumpet but it was almost painful to play on a horn when I knew that the sounds coming out were being severely limited by my equiptment. When I got the new trumpet it was like a breath of fresh air. I didn't know my scales any better but the sound coming out the end of the bell was like night and day(at least to me, and that's what matters, right?).
    Oh my yes! I sold my backup horn this week -- a planned sale as I was moving to a different style of horn. My primary horn I sent out to have the trim gold plated (it will be nice when it is done). That left me the last several days with a beginner's horn. Ugh! I have never been less motivated to practice.

The sound spreads when you get to mf or above. The tone is very hard to keep on pitch. It sounded awful when I played it -- but I have to remember that these horns are designed to help beginners which is much different than a good player (I won't bash the brand name). I actually took it to symphonic band rehearsal this week. The guy next to me (a very good player and a good friend) said "I'll be glad when your horn gets back." Ugh. I thought, how could it be that bad? But it was. Next time I'll use my small mouthpiece and maybe the sound won't spread as much (since the horn was designed for a smaller mouthpiece).

No one becomes great by buying a horn. But few, if any great players play on a beginner's horn. The horn DOES matter. I was reminded of that this week. I had a friend who has a Bach who has loaned it to me. Like lots of ZeuS dealers, I have sold my ZeuS to a customer (they are very much in demand at the moment). I will be getting another ZeuS here soon and my primary ZeuS back from the plating shop. At least my friend was kind enough to loan me his backup Bach in the meantime.

Kevin is right, a horn doesn't make the player. But a player needs a good horn.

How about this for a statement. No one became a worse player by buying a better horn.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Thread Information