Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practices for better tone in the General forums; Tone is not something that a player who doesn't know what that is just "works on". We can work on ...

Re: Practices for better tone

Tone is not something that a player who doesn't know what that is just "works on". We can work on our breathing and technique but developing a better tone comes from comparison to other players. I play duets with my students. During lessons, we play longtones together (two different tones at the same time - helps intonation too!). I often play a tune first and let the student repeat it. If I play with a full sound and add a crescendo, the chance of them doing the same is MUCH greater.

When a band director says to work on tone, it is also an indication that we are playing "naively". We are not thinking about the notes before we play them and not placing each one. Some sound weak and airly, others sound simply puked out.

I think that you need outside help on this. Find a duet buddy, make also sure that your teacher is playing during lessons. Emulation is the key and that HAS TO BE A ONE ON ONE EXPERIENCE! No CD of a great player can teach us to get a better tone. It can help us discover style AFTER we know what to listen for.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    Good tone is a result of proper air use. Sounds like you need to learn how to support the sound with the air. When you play any exercise think of blowing through to the next note. This will help you support the sound. But this is not the only thing to do to sound better. Can you give us more detail as to what you director thinks is wrong with your sound?

Using a tuner will not help you. It's not what you need. Anyway unless you play with a good basic sound you can't play in tune.
    My Director told me that I had the best rhythmic accuracy when compared to a set of other players, but the worst tone. He said that I need to work on building my air support, especially on quiet notes, and that I also needed to practice with a tuner/do lip bends to improve the steadiness of my sound. I was wondering if any one had any useful exercises beyond the ones I mentioned in my question.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by sg19305 View Post
    Hi all, I am wondering if any of you have any recomendation the mouthpiece for flugelhorn (just bought a flugel w/ mouthpiece), I am comfortable with 7C and 10.5C on trumpet.

I use a Yamaha 7F4 for flugelhorn (I think its is equivalent to a bach 7C), and am quite pleased with it, but I play a Yamaha 17B4 for trumpet (about the equivalent of a 1 1/4C(Just in case you didn't know already, the larger the number, the smaller the mouthpiece)). You can find many resources online to help you make the decision ( this is a link to the bach manual) but, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, if you aren't practicing at least 30 minutes a day, I would stick to something closer to a 7C (aprox. 16mm diameter) you may sound better on a larger mouthpiece, but it is hard on your lips without consistent practice.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Flugellover View Post
    Hey all,
    My band director recently told me that I needed to work on my tone. I know of long tones and lip bends, but that is all. I was wondering if anyone had any other daily exercises to improve my tone. Thanks for your responses!
    1. Play louder. Practice MUCH LOUDER.

2. Develop breath control.

3. Practice Clarke Technical Studies. Each exercise many times on one breath. Technical studies for the cornet - Herbert Lincoln Clarke - Google Books

Even if you never develop an ear for music the three above ideas will do more to improve your tone than anything else. plus they are simple things to do. Fairly easy too but mostly just simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information