Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practicing arpeggios for range? in the General forums; This is the exercise to which I'm referring . Many fellow trumpet players have praised this exercise as a ...

Practicing arpeggios for range?

This is the exercise to which I'm referring
    Many fellow trumpet players have praised this exercise as a chop builder for both range and endurance.

My question however:
    The guy in the video says that after you do this exercise you should be done for the day. Other trumpet players who also do this exercise have agreed, saying that it's so hard on your chops that you should break for at least an hour, if not be done altogether after playing this exercise. My question is wouldn't that mean you would have to do this exercise as the very LAST thing in your practice? Doing it at the end of a practice session could easily make the exercise overkill, not to mention the fact that you won't be able to play as high.

Can anyone who has done/regularly does this exercise explain this?

Levittown , NY

Re: Practicing arpeggios for range?

If you're going to work on your upper register,do it first before practicing anything else.When practicing the arpeggios, after playing the low note in between each one,be sure to rest before going on to the next one.The whole thing shouldn't take you that long. Give yourself a long rest,about 10 or 15 minutes,then practice your regular lesson.If you were giving yourself enough rest between each arpeggio your lips won't feel that tired.

Never practice upper the register last. When you do this last you lip will be tired, and that's when forcing and other bad habits work their way into your playing.

Thread Information