Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Practise Rooms in the General forums; Originally Posted by TrumpetPower I bring my mouthpiece with me everywhere I go, and I am always pulling it out ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Re: Practise Rooms

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetPower View Post
    I bring my mouthpiece with me everywhere I go, and I am always pulling it out and playing. Whether at work or on the road. As for actual practice with my horn, I tend to just stay in my room -- call me boring if you want ;)
    When you buzz in a piece, it is best to attach it to at least a four foot length hose, like ROWUK does. It provides air resistance substitute for the lack of a trumpet. Without, you're somewhat training yourself anew without that subtle back pressure from a horn.

Also, watch for cops when buzzing while driving. I've heard of one who was pulled over doing this. The officer thought he was smokin' a "little pipe".

Chilhowie, VA

In the bathroom one can play like crap, and conveniently dispose of the evidence!

haha that was a good one.

Sturmville, I wonder if you really did that. Was it pretty cool? I just know there is sometimes a lot of people coming in and out of there on that little walkway up to the bridge.

I've practiced in the bathroom as well, and I'm beginning to think maybe it's not all too weird....

Ithaca NY

I work in a 6 story mental health clinic. I have practiced:

In the basement "mechanical" room amid sprinkler plumbing, electrical panels, and telephone switches, and one day a social worker pulled me aside and said clients in her 12:30 group thought they were hearing things.

On the roof. The crows flew away.

In the Boardroom with the lights off, huge, overlooking the city at night. Very nice but the boss thought I was nuts (and I guess he should know).

and on my back porch, where there is no neighbor close enough to disturb.
    veery (am I disturbing or just disturbed?)

Oh, yeah, I did it! Sure I got strange looks, but that's par for the course, right?

JMU used to provide music for the annual Easter Sunrise Service there at the bridge, and we went down the day before to rehearse. We were usually finished by 4 or 5 in the afternoon, so there was time on the way back to stop and play a while.

The little tunnel under Rt. 11 between the hotel and the Visitor's Center had great resonance, too!

"Keep Your Stick on the Ice"- Red Green

Norwich, UK

I've thought about doing practice (with slient brass mute or something) on my public bus to and from school but I haven't had the balls yet.

Do you think you can get away with something like that?
    Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew 'Custom Z' Trumpet + Taylor ML2 Mouthpiece

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information