Trumpet Discussion Discuss Preferences for Metronomes ? in the General forums; this is posted out of necessity. Seems I "lost" the Yamaha electronic metronome my kids use to practice. Curious about ...
    New Friend

Question Preferences for Metronomes ?

this is posted out of necessity. Seems I "lost" the Yamaha electronic metronome my kids use to practice.

Curious about the fancy wooden box ones you often see on pianos. They look really nice and even better you can't lose them !

Anyone ever used these types? I know nothing about them at all.

Or just get a crowbar out of my wallet and buy another electronic one..

thx - Craig

Re: Preferences for Metronomes ?

For at home use, you could always use this free metronome: METRONOME ONLINE - free!

Forte User
    Flinders Vic Australia

The pyramid shaped wooden cased Metronome are usually clockwork with a swinging pendulum, the rate is varied by sliding a weight up and down against a scale calibrated in beats per minuit. the best ones have a bell that can be set to sound every 4, 3, 2 beats or off.

I find the advantage with them is that the point of the beat can be anticipated, which I find difficult with an electronic type.

Regards, Stuart

Bostonish & San Francisco

I really like the Dr. Beat metronomes, it subdivides with various rhythms,
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

New Friend

I had a mechanical one and my kid broke it (wound it too tight, although it was 20 years old).
    So we bought a cheap electronic one as a replacement.

As Stumac said, with the mechanical one you see the arm swinging back and forth and it makes the beat much easier to follow/anticipate, especially for my kid who is just starting to learn music. Unfortunately a good mechnical metronome is not cheap.

The electronic one we got was very cheap (10 or 15 dollars) but is not loud enough, the kid doesn't hear it well enough when he is playing. It has a blinking LED, but it's also not the same as the audible beat.

I may just need to buy a better electronic model.

it just needs to be loud enough. If the player starts slowly, the subdivided beat is of no benefit. If we start practicing too fast, the results are miserable anyway so a subdivided beat doesn't help there either.
    I have a home made one made with an NE555 timer chip and a piezo beeper, a wind up one and a freeware one in my Palm TREO called MetroPro. They all work equally well and are all loud enough
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

I have a relatively cheap metronome with 2 little dots that flash, the sound isn't great, but it penetrates the sound of the trumpet nicely.

Chicago northern suburbs

Dr. Beat!!! There is no substitute! The ability to create odd meters and subdivisions is heavenly. They are a little pricey, though.

Thread Information