Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Preparing for a big Concert/Gig/Competition in the General forums; Originally Posted by RHSbigbluemarchingband I think I wanna really improve my day before aspect of big concerts, because no matter ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Re: Preparing for a big Concert/Gig/Competition

Quote Originally Posted by RHSbigbluemarchingband View Post
    I think I wanna really improve my day before aspect of big concerts, because no matter what I do my chops are always insanely tired the day of and at the concert. Any advice?
    Don't play so much! If you don't know it by the day before, you won't know it at the gig! If your normal practice routine makes you "insanely tired" the next day 1), play less or with more rests the day before and 2), reevalute your routine so you're preparing yourself for a day of good playing and not just wearing yourself out.

I don't mean to sound like a smartass, but when you get to the day before, you've got to just relax and trust that you'll play to your ability, whatever that may be.

Mezzo Piano User

Well I know the music, but even when we had our clinic, my chops seemed to bottom out, when i went to play the couple of high As I couldn't. My endurance is normally very good, normally my chops begin to bottom out after 4 hours, but I think I may have a nervousness issue. My main reason in starting this thread is we have a concert on wednesday and knowing myself I probably will have the same result as I did at the clinic. Also worse thing is I have an orthodontist appointment an hour and a half before call time, this should be an interesting concert!
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Preparation is the key to successful performances!
    You need to be ready a couple of days BEFORE. Cramming does not work in music.
    Wednesday will work if you are ready on Monday.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Rest the day before--muscles need time to rejuvinate!
    Amen, brother!
    "The notes are there. Find them." Mingus

Mezzo Forte User
    Ft. Worth, TX

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional musician, and don't often play trumpet for other people, but I've had more than my share of public exposure in various things over the years. I've done a lot of singing at church and related functions, some public speaking, and in my current job, I find myself in front of a video camera a lot. I say that, because not all advice is applicable to everyone or every situation, so you can take or leave this at your discretion.

This seems backwards, but I've found that a lot of dedicated practice and routine building up for a specific event leads to increased nerves and expectations for myself - in an unhealthy way, and is more likely to bring on tension and resultant mistakes.

Having yourself prepared with daily practice and routine, as well as knowing your material, is paramount so that you have confidence in yourself, but I find I'm at my best if I just do normal stuff and don't think or worry about the event until I'm actually in the spotlight and ready to roll, aside from just doing what is normally healthy, and maybe getting some extra sleep.

Again, not all advice works for everybody, but the above has usually been true for me.
    “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether its proper technique, work ethic or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”

~Michael Jordan

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ONE WEEK BEFORE? I'm probabbly playing on an entirely different type of gig.

A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE? Check my date book, and the time that I have to be there.

DAY OF CONCERT? Get directions on MapQuest

HOUR BEFORE CONCERT? Show up so the cat in charge isn't upset, and set up.

FIVE MINUTES BEFORE? Lip flutter, lip buzz, mouthpiece buzz, then play on the horn ala Bobby Shew warm up.

I know that this seems like a wiseguy response, but all the other preparation is daily practice. If I have a gig that day, I warm up in the morning, go over parts if I have to, and then not play until 5-10 minutes before the gig. Like Rowuk said, stuff happens, and you don't want to create anxiety by doing things too much differently.

That about sums it up for me, except for the mouthpiece buzz, which I don't do.
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Dayton, Ohio

OK, I doubt the OP is unlikely to read this as his last post was in 4/12 but here is my input from an old thread I am reading for the first time:

ONE WEEK BEFORE? I practice 1-2 hours on the Quintet Materials and rudiments from "The Art of Jazz Trumpet" book by Mc Neil
    A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE? I practice 1-2 hours on the Quintet Materials and rudiments from "The Art of Jazz Trumpet" book by McNeil
    DAY OF CONCERT? Check concert address, find it on Google Map, and find hotels around the venue to provide posters of the performance details to the concierge to provide to patrons.
    HOUR BEFORE CONCERT? Waiting for the rest of the band to set up, talking to my significant other on the phone letting them know I arrived safely, my schedule and when I will call back
    FIVE MINUTES BEFORE? Warm up and sound check. Grabbing a glass of ice water with lemon to put on stage next to my horns
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Heart of Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Case in point--a week before an all Bach gig in Germany (Magnificat, 3rd Suite, and the solo cantate 51, all on piccolo)...
    That reminds me of a funny, totally unrelated story. I was rehearsing the Magnificat many years ago, and I had the music in my trumpet case. At a big band rehearsal, I opened my case to get my trumpet out and one of my fellow trumpet players (he played 3rd/4th part) saw it and asked me if I was playing Cats...
    Vulgano Brother and rowuk like this.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Know your music and relax. You play the trumpet, it's any other day to play except that day you have to dress up
    Mainly a 1958 Holton B47 Symphony for band
    and a Bach cr310 for Brass band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information