Trumpet Discussion Discuss preparing for performance in the General forums; Sorry about posting this in multiple places, but I would like as many people to see this to offer advice. ...
    New Friend

preparing for performance

Sorry about posting this in multiple places, but I would like as many people to see this to offer advice. I've got a bit of a problem, and was hoping someone can help. I have been preparing a concerto for performance with the symphony I play in which is coming up early next month. I have been preparing this piece for almost a year, and I had performed it before in a recital several years ago, so I feel that I really know the piece. I have been playing it by memory for about 3 weeks now, with some minor memory slips here and there, but lately I have been really botching a lot of the technical passages in the piece. Some of the passages have always been a nag, but now I'm starting to miss licks that have never been a problem before. I'm starting to sweat because it seems like sometimes the more I practice it, the worse it gets. I've tried all sorts of things, like slowing down the passages, "aiming" for certain notes, and I am nailing them when I am finished practicing. But when I go to put it in context again in a run-through, with only that one chance, I screw it up maybe 50% of the time. I know this is some kind of mental block, because I've played the passages cleanly before, but I can't seem to stop choking. I need to feel 100% confident about this, or I'll be a wreck when I walk out on stage. And I've put in way too much work to fall on my face. Any help, advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    You have learned the piece, you know it, you have practiced it and you own it! Do you really need to have it memorized? No! There are some freaks that can play a whole recital from memory, but heck, we were taught to read music and play what is on the page. Have your stand on the stage, look at the music as you need (which won't be often) and enjoy the performance.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Utimate User
    VB is right. Have the music out there and enjoy it. Memorize it for next time after you have a few successful shows.

Besides what was said before, I personally find it really important to have atleast half an hour before I play dedicated to getting focused. I dont talk to anyone, and dont think about anything else, I just try to get in the zone. Some people dont have to, but for me it makes all the difference in the world. Its also my time to relax and clear my head and nerves.
    Memorizing helps me concentrate on the performance instead of the piece alot more, and I think it enables you to look far more comfortable and natural on stage. (Plus everyone can see your mug then!) It seems like you have a fantastic grasp of the music already, so it doesn't look like you have to worry about that part!

Besides that, what was said above is really the core of it^_^

Thread Information