Trumpet Discussion Discuss Is this pressure?? in the General forums; I have found that after I have been playing for a while, say a couple hours on and off, that ...
    Pianissimo User

Is this pressure??

I have found that after I have been playing for a while, say a couple hours on and off, that there is an impression on the inside of my bottom lip from the top of my bottom teeth. I know I use a little pressure, but I don't think that it would have caused this because there is nothing on the top lip, where I would presume there would be. As I am sitting here now, 9 in the morning and not playing at all since last night (2 hr muni band concert), I can feel where mark was made and that it is there for next time I play.

Any suggestions?

Jared
    "I just want you to nail the pee-whillies out of that high C." -Our beloved director-
    Jim Culbertson-Decatur MacArthur

Mezzo Piano User
    Sounds like pressure, but since it's on your bottom lip and you don't mention any other ill effects, it's probably not damaging. I get mpc rings on both lips and I see those rings on most other lead players that I observe. The key is, are the lips still vibrating freely? If so, then you're probably not using "excessive" pressure.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    I saw this same issue arise a while back with a friend of mine.

You might be 'rolling' your bottom lip in when you start to play in the upper register. I am pretty sure that Arturo Sandoval uses this 'double-embouchure' when he ascends and descends. I have seen some players start to do this naturally without noticing. Play in front of a mirror from the lowest note to the highest note (or somewhere in between) so you can see up close your 'mechanics' and how everything is working up and down the register.

If you are rolling your lip in, then chances are that you are dropping your jaw slightly when descending thus causing your bottom lip to depress over your bottom teeth. That might be causing that impression on the inside of your lip.

Cory

Thread Information