Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pressure in the General forums; Can playing with too much pressure cause you to play sharp and need to pull way out? If not what ...
    Pianissimo User Principaltrumpet's Avatar
    north texas

Can playing with too much pressure cause you to play sharp and need to pull way out? If not what are possibilities of the cause? I have a nice tone that I am happy with and I can play intune as long as my slide is out 3/4 to a full inch...or if I lip down like crazy. I hate pulling out that far though.

Piano User
    Carson City, NV.
    Well, pressure can cause you too play sharp but you tell if you're using too much pressure, can't you?

Some horns just have to be played with the slides out quite a ways. My Conn 22b usually has the tuning slide out at least an inch, sometimes more. That's just the way the horn is. It doesn't hurt anything having the slide out that far.

Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player!

Gothenburg, Sweden
    It can have something to do with how you use your air.

Just a thought.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    I highly recommend reading this article; I think you'll find some interesting thoughts and suggestions:

Utimate User
    I doubt that pressure is the problem if you "have a nice tone" that you're "happy with". Most trumpeters play tight and high on the pitch but sometimes there are horns that are not built well and you have to pull out a lot. I owned, once, a New York Bach trumpet that had been built with a C trumpet leadpipe instead of the correct Bb pipe, if you can believe it. It had to pulled out over an inch to play. I was young and it was a stupid purchase on my part.

I sold that horn long ago and the owner was the one who figured it out by calling the Bach factory and doing a little research.

Anyway, the problem likely has to do with what you do with your tongue and other things. But if you're concerned about it, play a deeper mouthpiece and that'll bring the pitch down some.

Depending where your horn was built, it could just be higher pitched than is common for whre you are. In Germany they tune to A=442 or 443 and I have played gigs in Austria where we were as high as A=445. A trumpet built to work properly here would be shorter than its US counterpart and you would have to pull the tuning slide out further to tune it.
    I know some of the Yamaha Xeno trumpets here have had have the tuning slides shortened to get them up to A=442 or 443.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information