Trumpet Discussion Discuss Pressure Problem? in the General forums; Hi, I am currently at the end of sophomore year in high school, and I've been playing the Trumpet for ...
    New Friend

Pressure Problem?

Hi, I am currently at the end of sophomore year in high school, and I've been playing the Trumpet for about 6 years now. I've been having this problem for a while now, where even after playing for a short duration of time, a very prominent red ring develops on my lips where the mouthpiece was. I assume that this is a pressure problem, but whenever I try to play with less pressure, I can't get some notes out, because air is escaping or some other problem. I've tried playing with a firmer embochure, but it seems like whenever I do, I can hardly make out some notes as well.

This is starting the become very frustrating, because whatever is causing my problem, be it too much pressure or anything else, it is affecting my endurance, and my chops take forever to regain.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: Pressure Problem?

It sounds as though you are playing with not tight enough corners and are using pressure rather than your corners for higher notes or long playing. However, it is impossible for any of us to properly diagnose your problem without seeing and hearing you play. The best advice I could possibly give you is to find a competent private teacher work with them and do what they say.

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Hi aroman,
    Here's the way I approach it. I approach trumpet like whistling and I use a squished "M" type embrochure. Imagine a big "M" on your upper and lower lips.
    As the notes go higher the more you squish the "M"
    Along with that, I change the oral cavity with my tongue as if I'm whistling. If you read Arch Tongue and Hiss you'll see what I mean by whistling.
    I tell students when they start using too much pressure to "think whistling" while they play. This usually puts the thinking back in the mouth and on the tongue and off the lips. Good Luck

Levittown , NY

What ever you're doing , do it softly. When you practice at a ppp level you're forcing you're embouchure to work properly with out pressure from the rim holding it together.Practice everything softly ,long tones , scales, lip slurs, Clarke ,Arban's etc., you should feel a little sore in you're corners at the beginning so rest as long as you play , and remember we all play with some pressure or we would blow the trumpet away from our face, just keep it to a minimum.

The red ring just happens to some players, even without considerable pressure.
    If you have an endurance problem, then you are probably not practicing enough, or the right things. Playing for 6 years doesn't tell us anything. I have been breathing for almost 53 - that still doesn't make me an expert.

A good daily routine is what you need to get your house in order. At least an hour of practice EVERY DAY is necessary if you want a reasonable degree of playing quality. I am not talking about face time, I am talking about QUALITY TIME BEHIND THE HORN.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information