Trumpet Discussion Discuss Problem Note in the General forums; Just joined today. Here's my background. I was the typical band student, played a little semi professional after graduating, and ...
    New Friend
    Laredo TX

Problem Note

Just joined today. Here's my background. I was the typical band student, played a little semi professional after graduating, and then joined the Navy and played with the boot camp company band. I put down my horn in '92 and picked it up about a six months ago. It's all coming back slowly. I watch a lot of youtube lesson videos from many legends and take their advice to heart. My range and technique has slowly been coming back. I can play up to the C above the staff now. Here's the problem I've had which so far have not found a solution. While practicing scales and exercises I sometimes hit notes which I call duds. In other words while going through a scale any certain note might come out blank. It could be a G or C in the middle of the staff. Nothing that I can't normally play. Another concern of mine is the F at the top of the staff. For some reason I have a very hard time with this note. It seems I can not consistently hit this note the first time. I thought this would cure itself with time, but as my range has expanded above this note it is a concern. I can play notes below and above without a problem. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I started with a Bach 7C mouthpiece and have since settled on a 5B. Changing MP's doesn't seem to help me out with this. I have Bach 7C, 5B, 3C, and a Shilke 18. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by trumpeterwannabe; 08-30-2009 at 12:36 AM.

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Problem Note

The F on top of the staff is sharp on a lot of horns. If you have a movable first valve slide, try kicking it out. You might be surprised (I know I was when my teacher first suggested it to me!).

For me, those dud notes are usually because one of the notes before it was out of tune, so my ear and horn and chops aren't all aiming at the same spot. For example, if I play a G maj arpeggio and the fourth line D is flat, the G above usually comes out squirrely or chipped or dead sounding. Anyway, that's just how it works for me, so take that for what it may be worth!

Good Luck!

Re: Problem Note

One miserable note could be caused by a slightly leaking spit valve. Either the cork or the spring could be duff.

As far as some notes sometimes being way off, that is a common occurence when one plays with too much pressure or when long tones are not a prominent part of your playing routine. The reason is that your chops can take a "set" and when you try to change notes, they are not allowed to move "into position".

The 5B is a very substantial mouthpiece as is the 18. If you are getting an hour a day in, no problem. Less time means that you probably will not be able to develop enough strength to really make them "sing". All 4 are fine when you practice reasonably and enough.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information