Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Problems with horn in upper register!!! in the General forums; Just a thought but it may be your mouthpiece is better suited to the other horns than the Bach. I ...
    New Friend
    Just a thought but it may be your mouthpiece is better suited to the other horns than the Bach. I have just come out of a bit of a mouthpiece hunt ending up with a gardinellie M7. If I'd asked my teacher I'd have saved a lot of time and money but that's another issue. Thing is with this piece I have more range and better sound on my 1965 37 than with the other pieces I'd tried, Bach, Schilke, Monet. A Warberton 5 gave me the same sort of range with a tighter backbore but I couldn't get on with the cup. Must admit I'd never payed much attention to backbores but that experience put a light on. Don't realy understand why this particular piece works best for me with my horn but it does.
    Mark

bj
    New Friend

Re: Problems with horn in upper register!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drac
    Ok this is going to be a strange post. I own a Bach37s which I have great difficulty in hitting notes above high C. The notes get very thin and barely speak at all. I am currently trying some new horns out and NONE of them have this problem-even the heavy weight horns. I was just wondering if there is something specific I can look for on my existing horn that might be causing this. The horn has been cleaned so this is not the problem. Any help would be appreciated.......
    Hi Drac
    It seems to me there are 3 main factors in playing. The horn, the mp and the person doing the blowing. Have you tried another Bach 37? If you can play high on it then your Bach is the fault, for whatever reason.
    If you can't play high on other 37's then the combination of you, the Bach and your mp doesn't work for you.
    all the best
    Brian Jones

Quote Originally Posted by gzent
    You nailed it - you're comparing the best new Kanstuls with a Bach 37.

Buy the Kanstul you like and let someone else deal with the Bach.
    What's the deal with bashing Bach's? I happen to like mine a lot. Granted, it is a 43. ;)

--Kevin

Oh, the topic....

My guess would be mouthpiece gap if your not having this problem anywhere else on your horn, or with other horns. But before you start going on a spending spree with mouthpieces, horns, etc., might I suggest you shop around for a teacher first? You might just be doing something quirky with this one horn that you haven't been doing with the others, and he/she might be able to spot this for you. Also, it never hurts to have someone verify that it's the horn, and NOT you!

--Kevin

Kevin,

My observation has been that Bach connoisseurs spend a lot of time either finding a 'really good' Bach, learning to play with Bach idiosyncracies, trying different hardware to reduce the idiosyncracies or convincing others why Bach is the choice of professionals.

If drac bought a Kanstul he could sell his Bach and spend all that time enjoying his new horn.

Greg
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

My Bach has heavy-weight valve caps, and... that's it.

--Kevin

Pianissimo User
    Well I am bringing it in for valve alignment so I will let you know how that goes. As for the Kanstuls, I am pretty sure I will be buying one, I just wish they had alighter version of the 1500!!!

Ask Jack Kanstul, they seem to build just about anything you can name.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

And don't get me wrong, Kanstul's are great horns...

I LOVE my Bach though.

--Kevin

P.S. Jacky Terrason (sp?) kicks a**!!!

New Friend
    I have had the same problem with all 4 of the different Bach Strads that I have owned. I tried changing the Warburton BB, but nothing seemed to help. I ended up selling them all, and I have not missed them at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information