Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Problems with horn in upper register!!! in the General forums; Ok this is going to be a strange post. I own a Bach37s which I have great difficulty in hitting ...
    Pianissimo User

Problems with horn in upper register!!!

Ok this is going to be a strange post. I own a Bach37s which I have great difficulty in hitting notes above high C. The notes get very thin and barely speak at all. I am currently trying some new horns out and NONE of them have this problem-even the heavy weight horns. I was just wondering if there is something specific I can look for on my existing horn that might be causing this. The horn has been cleaned so this is not the problem. Any help would be appreciated.......

Mezzo Piano User
    If you don't have similar problems on other horns, then it's probably valve alignment, mpc gap or some other physical issue in the horn. Is it spotlessly clean inside?? I'd start there first, but that's so obvious I almost hate to mention it.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

what year bach do you have? Mine seems to be fine for that range...
    ~Annie

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*

Piano User
    How drastic is the change? Do you go from nothing above high C to a huge dubba G or is it a little more subtle. I'm learning that lighter, larger, more free-blowing horns are a little easier for me to play but the differences arern't huge. I suppose the two possibilities are that you've found some horns that match you better as a player or there's something physically wrong with your trumpet.

Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    If you don't have similar problems on other horns, then it's probably valve alignment, mpc gap or some other physical issue in the horn. Is it spotlessly clean inside?? I'd start there first, but that's so obvious I almost hate to mention it.

Dave
    You would be surprised at how often cleaning a horn makes a difference. Clean and oil the leadpipe. Sometimes thousandths of a inch make a difference. Clean your mouthpiece -- you can change the backbore with just a little crud.

Not to argue with Dave because he may be right, but I think perhaps a valve alignment would show up before getting that high. The mpc gap is another issue that should be looked at.

Clean your horn throughly! It will play better and you will feel better

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

New Friend
    ?
    Gidday
    have you checked the water keys? There might be a small leak of air which more often than not shows up in the high register.

Cookie

New Friend

Re: Problems with horn in upper register!!!

:)

Pianissimo User
    Man, I hate to tell you this but there is about a 99% chance that it is not the horn. Range does not come from the horn. I cannot imagine how much gunk in a horn it would take to affect range. If you can play higher on other horns it is most likely all in your mind. Unless your bach has too much or not enough resistence for you.....in comparison to the other horns. Still....the difference would not be so drastic.

Good Luck!

Pianissimo User
    hmmmmm,

Well I am going to have the valve alignment checked, that seems like a good place to start. After stating that the horn has been cleaned it's amzing how many replies were about cleaning the thing. I appreciate all your responses though. I ordered the rounded tuning slide also which should make and interesting change. For whoever asked, I ahve a Bach 180-37s. It has new valve caps and spit valve so I think I am covered there. Maybe the last thing to do would be to jam an adrenaline shot in my lips.....I just thought it was really odd that these other horns respond so much better. Geeze maybe they are just better horns........

You nailed it - you're comparing the best new Kanstuls with a Bach 37.

Buy the Kanstul you like and let someone else deal with the Bach.
    Stop acting like someone shot your dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information