Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Problems that present themselve while playing the Trumpet in the General forums; Ok, so due to the recent threads I would like to ask people to post common and not so common ...

Problems that present themselve while playing the Trumpet

Ok, so due to the recent threads I would like to ask people to post common and not so common "problems" people experience while playing trumpet. I mainly want to stay focused on the physical aspects, such things like grunting, double buzz, over/under shooting, etc.

Could be an interesting problem solving device for myself and others along our journey. Also, does anyone know if something like this already exists? Thanks.

Tim
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

Pianissimo User

Re: Problems that present themselve while playing the Trumpet

Ok, I'll bite, as I have a lot...

Double buzz
    Air in tone (particularly on low notes)
    Lips drying out causing airballs
    Choking the airflow at the throat
    Over and undershooting notes - usually when nervous
    Poor flexibility
    Poor tonguing speed (both this and the above despite lots of work on Clarke's and Colins')

I'll add more when I inevitably think of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

Pianissimo User

Lol, hmm

At the moment, bad endurance and phrasing habits
    not keepin the sound the same from register to register
    pushing too hard to play loud and not using enough breath support

haha, i'm not that great, as these problems prolly show

Pianissimo User

I have Endurance Issues, I think I'm bottoming out in my MP (Switching from a 3C to a 5C), Range issues/ Too much tension/ Not knowing how to relax properly. So I have some issues that I need to work on.

Cheers,
    Jason
    "The Horn is just an Amplifier, The person makes the beautiful music"

========================================
    Benge 90B,
    64 Olds Ambassador mod.,
    65ish Olds Ambassador Cornet
    Conn 1050b (My 1st Trumpet)

Wishlist: (Let me know If you have played one)
    Kanstul ZKT 1601 Signature
    Kanstul ZKT 1500A Signature
    Phaeton FX Antique Brushed Finish

Fortissimo User

AT my age, the primary problem is my CPU processor speed...
    I can't think of everything at once. If I focus on the notes, the phrasing goes out the window. If I focus on the phrasing, the timing/rhythm goes haywire. If I focus on the timing, I can't remember the key signature. If I worry about that, I can't remember where the repeat goes back to. So, I have to play mostly low, slow, key-of-C, no-repeat, strictly quarter-note stuff. Pretty boring!!
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User

The biggest issue IMHO is overblowing during a gig.Whether it is a small group or big band. Pacing and trusting your projection (not playing too loud) is important. This is difficult to grasp even when you are continuously trying to do it.

The concept of playing at 80% of your physical volume is something to keep in mind. Roger Ingram talks about this in his book. Wayne Bergeron talked about this at his clinic at the ITG in 2007. This improves accuracy, endurance, and overall sound quality. Trying to fight a band that plays tooo loud is a loosing battle. Trumpet players are notorious for trying to overpower the band. What ends up happening is that they overpower themselves. This is why you hear of players that have major endurance issues, although they are relatively strong players. Bob Findley calls it playing in balance in his book. The concept works, obviously, and the best players out there use it.
    Last edited by Pete; 08-12-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    Pete Grimaldi

Wonderful stuff, now, it doesn't have to be just your problems... I'm just trying to compile a list of problems trumpet players (or any brass) most commonly face, maybe even a few rare ones that you've heard of as well.
    The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.
    -C. S. Lewis

Life is about learning; when you stop learning, you die. -Tom Clancy

And the seven angels which had the seven trumpets prepared themselves to sound.
    -Revelation 8:6

New Friend

The only thing that's bothering me now is endurance, in supposed to play 4-6 hours at practice and I die at a half a hour! Not good
    Yamaha Xeno ytr-8335s
    "I mistake does not become an error to you refuse to correct it" -I don't remember

Pianissimo User

Shakes - whether through nerves, excitement, or just every day tremors. Makes it had to play when the mpc is dancing all over your face! Means too much pressure to keep it there (reducing range) and a horrible nannygoat vibrato in the tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Rctrumpet1993@aol.com View Post
    The only thing that's bothering me now is endurance, in supposed to play 4-6 hours at practice and I die at a half a hour! Not good
    I used to be that way, too, but ever since discovering the Stamp warm-up, which I use in combination with the Thompson Buzzing Book, both playing along with the accompaniment CDs so as not to rush through anything, I find that I spend about 1 hour to 1.5 hours warming up and then I can play all day long if I want or need to.

Before, I'd pick my horn up, do a few warm-ups learned in my college days, play the circle of fifths in major scales and then start playing away and would be worn out in almost no time.

One very important reminder I picked up at ITG in Harrisburg -- rest a lot during a practice session. Some people say "rest as much as you play" but that seems impractical to me if you have a 3-hour gig coming up you need to be able to play for 3 hours. But in your practice, remember that your charts you play on a gig have rests in them, and then there's the in-between song breaks as well as the actual breaks where you leave the bandstand. So work those sorts of breaks into your practicing and don't think that a 4-hour practice session means 240 minutes with your mouthpiece on your lips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information