Trumpet Discussion Discuss problems with reading music while playing in the General forums; Hi, I have this odd problem that has been bugging me for a while. When I read sheet music while ...
    Piano User

problems with reading music while playing

I have this odd problem that has been bugging me for a while. When I read sheet music while learning and memorizing the tune I simply do not know where to place it. When I play piano It is not a problem because notes are just in front of my eyes, but while playing tumpet if I place sheet music on a holder I cant come any closer because of the trumpet. I tried to glue it on the wall or something but it is just to far away to see, In particular when I am playing from my fake book that is in A5 format therefore has very small notes. Now I am sitting on the couch and sheet music is placed on my leg, but I would prefer to play while standing up.

what can you suggest me where to place sheet music.

PS sorry for the bad english

Re: problems with reading music while playing

Seems like you could have a problem with your sight?
    Are you using glasses or other sight corrections?
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

Chicago Custom X-VR Lead

BrassNor Alexander Custom cornet
    BrassNor Versatile Bb Custom trumpet

If it is not an eye problem that could be resolved with glasses, maybe you should try to read with the bell rim, like if you were reading following to your finger.
    Best wishes !!!
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets

The Wide Brown Land

I suspend a trumpet lyre from a shelf in my wardrobe (secured with a G clamp) and clip music to it - then step backwards or forwards as required. This also deals with the need to reduce the noise transmitted to those around me during practice (by playing into the wardrobe) - and I too like to stand when I practice - I breathe better (most of our gigs have the trumpet section standing BTW).

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

I wear progressive trifocal and when I practice I have to switch standard "reading" glasses to be able to see the whole page clearly.

If it's simply that the format of the music is too small, could you enlarge it on a copier?
    I gotta get me one of those cool slogans.....

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Why not get some glasses for reading music. I would take a piece of music to the eye doctor's or even the drug store hold it where you feel comfortable with music being and keep going stronger until you are able to read it.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Because of the normal vision problems associated with advanced age I wear bifocal glasses that were regulated by my opthalmologist specifically for reading music. I use the upper,( low magnification ), lense segment for looking at the line up of the charts upon the blackboard behind the conductor and for watching him. For the chart on the music stand I use the middle magnification. For any close up, such as oiling valves, or any other activity that requires higher magnification, I use the bottom segment of the lense. This resolves my vision problems. Now, to address my hearing loss. I can't stand the ultra intense noise while playing and wearing my hearing aids. I moved a very talented teen age girl up to associate principal trumpet to act as my 'ambulatory hearing aid'. Hey, it works for me.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Hmmmm.....maybe I'm missing something, but the original poster mentions reading the music on his lap or taped to a wall. There are these things called MUSIC STANDS. Get one, and adjust its height appropriately. Either stand in front of it, or sit in front of it (in a firm straight backed chair, not the couch).

your problem is not your eyes or the distance of the music. Music is made up of patterns - scales and intervals. Once you have them reasonably under control, you are not "reading" the music with microscopic precision. You are letting the patterns relieve you of trying to interpret each individual note.

Your post is a bit confusing. If I understand right, your eyesight is not good and the 15" or so length of the trumpet keeps the music too far away from your eyes when reading A5 music.

I am convinced that you can figure out how to position a music stand to get the music closer to your eyes. The second bit of advice is to copy the A5 music to A4 size. Then you have a much bigger impression to work with. First and foremost, you have to get your scales and intervals memorized. That is the key to reading. Period!

If you are in Germany near Frankfurt or Darmstadt and can't figure this out, PM me. I probably have a solution for you.................
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Greensboro, NC

If I understand you, you have trouble seeing the music because it's too far away not because the trpt is in the way. Sounds like a seeing problem. I have two pair of glasses. One for reading, old age, and one for music. My eye doctor figured out what strenght I needed based on the distance in front of the trpt. So now I have two types of glasses to take to gigs. Yea!
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Thread Information