Trumpet Discussion Discuss Problems with Triple Tonguing in the General forums; I have learn how to triple tongue but I might be making it even difficult than it really is said ...
    Pianissimo User

Problems with Triple Tonguing

I have learn how to triple tongue but I might be making it even difficult than it really is said my teacher tu tu ku and du du gu are what I'm going to use. I want Manny Laureano help with this if you don't mind.
    Bb: Bach Stradivarius 43* (Gold PLated)
    C: Bach Stradivarius 229S (H pipe)
    Pic: Yamaha 9830 Custom
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Bb: Conn Vintage One (1BR)
    Flugel: Kanstul 1525 (Signature)
    Bach Megatone 1-1/4C
    Warbuton FL 1

Utimate User
    dear Bach,

With very few exceptions, that's the way that I triple tongue. I won't get into the exceptions because it's just going to confuse the situation.

At any rate, Tu versus Du is merely a contextual matter. That is, if I'm playing a cornet solo I lighten the tongue and play with more Du to maintain a nice flow. In the orchestra, I'm a little more prone to use the Tu because of how much further I have to project and because the orchestral fabric might be more dense.

Having written that, you realize that there are always exceptions, right?

The bottom line is that the multiple tongues, soft or hard, should maintain a good aitflow and not be resrticted by the to-and-fro motions of the tongue. The best advice I can give you overall is to make sure that when multiple tonguing, try to keep the tip of the tongue towards the front of the mouth and keep the back of the mouth open.

Don't forget to breathe big, always... Air is free!

ML [/b]

Thread Information