Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Professionalism...? in the General forums; ....
    Pianissimo User

Professionalism...?

Last edited by 12erlgro; 07-12-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    B&S Challenger II 3143/2 reversed lead-pipe
    Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP

Re: Professionalism...?

What separates regular folks from pros is getting paid.

If you are 16-17 and you think you want to make your living playing the trumpet then you need to go talk to some people that are doing it for advice. The best way to earn money playing trumpet is to teach other people how to play trumpet.... it's kind of a musical pyramid scheme. Out of the tens of thousands of beginner band trumpet players every year how many go on to earn a full time living playing trumpet. Not many. Maybe you can arrange, write, conduct, produce, etc... there are lots of ways to make money in music besides tooting your horn.

Is there a point where it is too late?? Nope... I don't think so. That said, though, you WILL have to find a way to earn a living sooner than later. Maybe it is education, maybe it is playing professionally, maybe it is computer science or motorcycle repair. You can always come back and play for the love of it after you get rich doing something else.

My best advice: If you want to be a pro trumpet player then marry someone with a good job and insurance!
    tedh1951 likes this.

Pianissimo User

I would say that deciding every detail in your feature job in the age of 12?
    Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP

There is no such thing as age when it comes to music. There are very young players that have the drive and attitude to do it right. They are already pros at 16.

My thought is that if you have to ask the question, you are not qualified.

I will also disagree with the "for money" requirement. If we follow the Webster dictionary, of course professionals are those that have made a profession out of what they do. A professor TEACHES those that want to know. Profit has the same root but prophesy does not. In any case, when it comes to art forms, professional is not professed, it is lived!

Good luck
    tedh1951 likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

I had my 1st paying gig when I was 17....been making money(Im not rich!!) at it and playing guitar, trumpet, keys, bass guitar, and singing ever since(Im 51)

I was 14 when I was hired to play with a local big band--decided I wanted to do it forever right then. Tried it for a while after school, but I didn't marry someone with a good job and insurance--so I had to get a real job.

Piano User

I was 14 or 15 when I started playing with a local Latin band. Most of the horn players were kids from my High School band. It was great experience. We made about $40 a gig, and in 1975 that was ok for a 15 year old. We played just about every week.
    Bob
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the page.....play the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

Pianissimo User

I know i over reacted to your post rowuk i am sorry for that, i did not mean for this thread to go this way.

I think you might have missunderstood my question, i never meant that you one day just say im going to be a pro musician, i simply ment that when you mabie understand one day as a young person that this is what you want to be, and then want to practise smarter and more effecively, and you ask your tacher how to do that, and what you might neet to pracise more on, and starting to perfect your fundamentals.

So if you as a young boy want to TRY to go pro but in the and reaches the limit for what yourself think is to old to even try, mabie you say then you dont want it enugh but many are going down that road. they have thought on it for long, and might didnt have a good tacher to tell them what to do, they turn 16 or 18 and think it is to late to even try, but stil dream about it every day, i do not want to end up at that road.

This has nothing to do with beeing sensitive or not able to face the real world, my teachers have told me how their life as musicians is, i dont say i am some sort of an "expert" or anything, just that i know something. And all my teachers have told me that they in a surten age found out that this was what they wanted to do with their life, and asked their teachers what they should do. But peaople have also told me that they reached a surten age and then just gave up on their dream on becoming musicians, like my dad and he regrets it every day, and he was 15 when he thaught it was to late.

I really am sorry for my over reaction, and i hope you eccept my apology. Had a bad day, my practice did not go wel, i really fealt that day that i needed a trumpet teacher, and my trumpet teacher quited 2 months ago and it has been a hard time trying to find a new one. Just wanted a sense of when people thaught it was to late.

Sorry
    Last edited by 12erlgro; 07-20-2012 at 06:37 AM.
    Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    If you want to be a pro trumpet player then marry someone with a good job and insurance!
    Or do what I did; married a psychiatrist, then you are not only supported, but also get FREE mental health benefits on a on-demand basis, when you return from a gig being stiffed by the club owner and talks you out of homicideal ideation, that keeps you out of incarceration so you can yet return for another gig. So you want to go pro, hah?
    coolerdave likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

I was 7 when I first was getting paid. I played the organ in a bar. The comedians that followed me had to tone down their acts because of me being in the club, and this was in the early 1960's BEFORE PG RATINGS were even a remote idea.

I remember a comedian singing a song while I was in the club one night... "There was a girl from Kansas City... she scratched her matches on her ya ha's... Matches, matches, M-A-T-C-H-E-S." I just turned to my mother (who took me to my gigs) and said, "Kansas City doesn't rhyme with ya ha", and she said, "Gary, some day you'll understand"... AND it was on that day of understanding many years later that I turned pro.
    Last edited by gmonady; 10-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Dave Hughes likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information