Trumpet Discussion Discuss Progress Report on Learning to Fit Part's in the General forums; Well I am typing one handed right now. So bear with me. I just burnt myself because I forgot how ...
    Banned Mezzo Piano User

Progress Report on Learning to Fit Part's

Well I am typing one handed right now. So bear with me. I just burnt myself because I forgot how well brass like cpper conducts heat. Well even though I have been practicing it must not have been enough.....LOL Anything that could go wrong did and I am almost sure it was because I had all three boys and the wife watching.It must have been performane anexity...LOL Well everything is well fit true,plumb, air tight but my solder job is ugly looking. I think before I practice more I am gioing to review what went wrong mentaly and try to fix it in my head first. I think part of it was postioning issues. The other was that when things went side ways I was not prepared to handle them. I think I need some copper wicking to help me soak up any excess before it can run. I might just buy a nice fixture as well since when my method of holding failed one I grabed the part with my thumb to keep it in place and ligtly burnt it. I also think I might have been over heating since I was useing a different heat source in my kitchen then I used outside in my cold workshop. The air temp. of 7 degree's could account for the slightly longer heat times outside as compared to inside. All in all I am almost happy with it. I like the fact that everything lined up properly but I am not happy with the fact that it does not look professional and I burnt myself. Anytime you get hurt doing a job it means that either you where careless or you did not follow a sound protocal that is best practice. I am always honest even with myself since lies get you no place and only fail to hurt you in the long run.

The reason I am posting my partial secuess is to make sure that people realize that everytime you try something you mightnot get it perfect but you should always learn from your mistakes and get back on that horse and try again! Once you get right you have actualy taught yourself a skill and skills are marketable!

Re: Progress Report on Learning to Fit Part's

Soldering is an art best learned by imitating an artist. There are many tricks of the trade to get the solder flowing where it should and for dressing up the joints later. Even the best have jewellers files and scrapers to get the joint touched up before buffing. Even a good plumber can save days of pain by showing you good technique.

Anybody interested in learning how to build trumpets the right way can take a natural trumpet building course given by Bob Barclay, Michael Münkwitz and Rich Seraphimoff:

You start with sheet metal, make your own tubes, bells and bows. A great start in instrument construction! Highly recommended.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information