Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Quality of Horn Related to Skills in the General forums; Originally Posted by mheffernen5 Hi! Someone recommended Jupiter to me. I know absolutely nothing about them or where to find ...
    Mezzo Piano User
    Quote Originally Posted by mheffernen5
    Hi! Someone recommended Jupiter to me. I know absolutely nothing about them or where to find them.
    www.airstreammusic.com now carries Jupiter. They're just getting their first stock in. I've played about six or seven XO Tribune Jupiters and they've been excellent, pro horns. I'm really partial to the reverse leadpipe model with the medium flare bell, but all have been good. The consistancy has been much like Yamaha. These ARE NOT student horns.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    They're just getting their first stock in. I've played about six or seven XO Tribune Jupiters and they've been excellent, pro horns. I'm really partial to the reverse leadpipe model with the medium flare bell, but all have been good. The consistancy has been much like Yamaha. These ARE NOT student horns.
    The reviews on the XO Tribune have been good. Jupiter once made horns very directed at the beginner's market and were not the best of horns. But they have been listening and working. The results, the Tribune and a Bass trombone that is getting good reviews too.

mheffernen5, you have two threads going. One talking about buying a Bach or Yamaha, and this one about Jupiter. Time to get down to brass tacks as they say. You can look for a horn forever and not be happy. Or you can select a horn, practice, and make the most of it. You may change your mind later and go to a different horn. But if you want a good horn to play before you become a senior, you need to start making decisions. My 2 cents.

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

New Friend
    Well I've been reading the trumpetmaster forum for some time, but not contributed on the grounds that others are much better qualified than me to comment on trumpet issues. However, I'm very well qualified to comment on aspects of poorer playing, so will make a few observations here.

Firstly, a good player could get a much better sound out of my old student model trumpet than I could out of any instrument - I need all the help I can get, so why not have a good instrument.

Secondly, given the number of hours I've spent practising the trumpet over the last 30 plus years, it's very easy indeed to justify a top level trumpet. If I'd spent all that extra time getting paid to do my day job it would add up to an awful lot of trumpets, even on a modest salary.

Well I'm convinced I should go out shopping - all I have to do now is convince my wife!

Geoff Dobson

Quote Originally Posted by geoffd
    Well I'm convinced I should go out shopping - all I have to do now is convince my wife!
    I hear that phrase often since I own an online store. Substitute spouse for wife and I hear it a lot. My day gig is as a mental health therapist -- so some free advice. Find a way to buy the horn (to keep you happy) and a way to keep the wife happy at the same time!

M&C
    Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist
    Owner: www.allbrassradio.com

Pianissimo User
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER
    Quote Originally Posted by dcstep
    They're just getting their first stock in. I've played about six or seven XO Tribune Jupiters and they've been excellent, pro horns. I'm really partial to the reverse leadpipe model with the medium flare bell, but all have been good. The consistancy has been much like Yamaha. These ARE NOT student horns.
    The reviews on the XO Tribune have been good. Jupiter once made horns very directed at the beginner's market and were not the best of horns. But they have been listening and working. The results, the Tribune and a Bass trombone that is getting good reviews too.

mheffernen5, you have two threads going. One talking about buying a Bach or Yamaha, and this one about Jupiter. Time to get down to brass tacks as they say. You can look for a horn forever and not be happy. Or you can select a horn, practice, and make the most of it. You may change your mind later and go to a different horn. But if you want a good horn to play before you become a senior, you need to start making decisions. My 2 cents.

M&C
    OK, Last night I did some research and the Yamaha model I want is not being made anymore so I am going to forget that. It's most likely to be a Bach Strad or a Jupiter Tribune XO.

Piano User
    Ok, It may be a little late...but, I'm gonna chime in here.

I've played on my strad since I was in middle school, and It has been a GREAT horn. (It was passed down to me from my cousin, and keep in mind...It's an older model) I really want a new horn, but almost strictly because I haven't ever owned a new horn. Now, I have a friend who had a very nice Callet Jazz. It played like a dream, and I plan on buying one somewhere down the road. He was having a bad playing week and couldn't figure out what was going on. He simply went out and bought a Zues after WATCHING me and a friend play them at TMEA. He said he was trying it out first, but I knew his mind was already made up. Now, he does sound great on that Zeus, and It is a good horn...But, I think he souned even better on that Callet.

Moral: Equipment may help, but it is person holding the horn. I played with a guy one time that flew to a gig, and the Airline lost his Mt. Vernon (Why he checked it....I don't know.) He went to a pawn shop, and bought some POS that was barely recognizable as a trumpet. It cost like 80 bucks. Well, anyway...He sounded amazing on that POS.

I'm sorry that it took all of that just to say that the player is the biggest part.

JGW
    Jonathan Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information