Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Question about accompanying vocalists in the General forums; I had one thought about the placement of the performers and the microphones. Recently our church did a piece with ...
    Piano User
    Central Pa.

Re: Question about accompanying vocalists

I had one thought about the placement of the performers and the microphones. Recently our church did a piece with 5 or 6 singers and a flute (these were not professional singers, but the flute player was a professional), and the flute player was directly behind the singers and was picked up by the same mic. That was a big mistake and the sound board operator couldn't do anything about the balance, the flute really overpowered the singers. I would recommend that the singers and any instruments be on separate mics so that the volume to the speakers can be balanced at the board
    tobylou8 likes this.
    B.O.F. with 0 credibility.

Silver Plated American Standard.

Silicon Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Sethoflagos View Post
    A contralto and a trumpet?

...or did I miss something?
    Dinah and Maynard. Not really my cup of tea.... And remember they were in a network TV studio with every kind of audio gear available at the time and multiple top-notch engineers to tweak it. You can't say the same thing for most local churches. (Certainly not at my local church where I AM the sound engineer, as well as choir member, brass guy, board treasurer, and a few other things.)

Getting a bunch of soloists together and expecting them to play together as a group frequently does not work at all. I remember when Louis Armstrong died, one of the network TV shows got together a bunch of the big names in jazz of that day to pay tribute to Louis. It was a long time ago and don't remember who they all were, although I think Dizzy may have been on the trumpet. After the stories were told and the great man lauded, the host asked the assembled jazz stars to play a tune in tribute to Louis. It was without question one of the worst performances I have ever heard on TV, and these were all very big name guys. But they were all used to being the star of the show, not a member of the ensemble. Apologies for the digression....
    2003 Bach Strad 180S37
    1995 Bach Strad 180S37G
    1954 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super Recording
    1965 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen"
    1949 Olds Super
    2004 Kanstul 1510 C trumpet
    1995 Connstellation 86B C trumpet
    2010 Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
    2014 Yamaha flugelhorn YFH6310Z
    1998 Getzen 940 piccolo trumpet
    196? Besson English cornet
    2012 Dillon pocket trumpet
    Conch shell in F

Abbeville, LA

My wife is a singer. She has been touring in Europe a lot. (That's where we met. I'm French) She is mainly singing Gospel. I play for our church twice a month (different choirs - different musicians) and she sings as well. Trumpet/voice/choir along with b3, guitar and drums are always a good match. If the voices are real good, you can cut through with a sound resembling a ginsu knife. (Last Sunday, I did a whole song between the G set above the 5th line and the G an octave higher! That was the bomb!!!)
    For other work where you want to melt with the voice, I love my flugelhorn. And if I don't carry it everywhere, I always have my Giardinelli 10FL with me, and play it on my old trumpet (a 1910 Chas E George VEGA STANDARD!) The combination is sensational.

By the way, we'll perform at the Jazz Fest in New Orleans again this year. (twice)
    tobylou8 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information