Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brekelefuw
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Question about harmonics and open fingerings in the General forums; I have a question in comparing my new (to me) Getzen 700 Eterna II to my York PerfecTone cornet. For ...
    Pianissimo User

Question about harmonics and open fingerings

I have a question in comparing my new (to me) Getzen 700 Eterna II to my York PerfecTone cornet.

For whatever reason, it seems more difficult to 'lip' down from above open G (in the staff) to Open G or below on the new horn than on the old cornet. Any idea as to why? It seems that when I try to lip it down there, the top note gets flat, then like an adolescent boy it squeaks and squawks, gives me the destination note flat (because I am lipping down) after which I pull it in tune.

I assume I'll get used to this and perform it flawlessly after some practice? Or is something terribly wrong....
    The difference between youth and old age is that, in youth one struggles to play the right notes while, as an adult, one works to play the notes right.

Re: Question about harmonics and open fingerings

You aren't used to where the new horn slots notes. Practice with it and it should go away.
    VetPsychWars likes this.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

You ran into the same thing that I did with a Getzen horn. For me... it's unplayable, and I would never own one. If you want to learn to play it, you can.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Mezzo Forte User

Recently I have been looking at the physics of harmonics of conical instruments, which says that the partials will be further apart for more conical instruments, which gives me the hunch that the conical taper between the two horns are not the same. This works fairly well for cornets, since most trumpet tend to be sharp in the B-D(concert) range, so my cornet doesn't even have a third valve slide. I can't say for sure since horns have more in play than taper. It took me a while to get a decent sound out of my cornet after switching, including changing the valve buttons to correct alignment when pressed and cleaning a spit valve cork that had been stuck in the bell, so you might want to give it more time and look at the setup.

Ithaca NY

As brekelefuw stated, it is a difference in the way the two horns slot. The cornet slots more loosely or has "wider" slots, meaning that you can bend a pitch further before it will jump to the next partial (either up pr down). The trumpet's are "narrower", allowing you less deviation from the pitch center before the horn snaps to the adjacent partial.

Jazz players tend to like the wide slots which allow them to do bends for an aesthetic effect (as well as chase the intonation of the sax player), and classical performers usually prefer a narrow slotting horn - especially one which has "good intonation", and pitch adjustments are mostly performed moving the first and/or third slides. DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT A HARD AND FAST RULE, BUT JUST A CRASS STEREOTYPING GENERALIZATION FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES.

SmoothOperator's comment about conicalness is fairly accurate. Flugs and cornets tend to be wider slotting and more conical than trumpets (another crass generalization).
    Last edited by veery715; 11-19-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Thread Information