Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jposquig22
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Question about the sizzle sound? in the General forums; I am a high school trumpet player so please excuse me if i'm just wrong or confused. One of the ...
    New Friend

Question about the sizzle sound?

I am a high school trumpet player so please excuse me if i'm just wrong or confused.

One of the things I've come to love in the past couple of years is drum corps and just the amazing sound that they produce, but when i listen to some of my favorite solos that occur in even the mid high range (like high g-c) they have almost a squeaky tone that really sounds great in the upper ranges.
    (a good example is the cadets 2003 trumpet trio at 3:45

I can play solidly up to high D but none of my notes sizzles or pop nearly as much as theirs. they have an almost jazzy sound that i've never been able to replicate. ive heard this in almost all ranges as well.

I'm not usually one to call on mouthpieces but could a mouthpiece affect your sound in that way (i currently play on a bach 1c which is certainly not what they use in drum corps).

Is it just a style thing or is their something that they are doing or using to achieve that sizzle sound?

Re: Question about the sizzle sound?

Just keep working on that nice full sound you are getting and the sizzle will eventually come. A 1c is a really big mouthpiece that is characteristically associated more with a fat, full, classical sound. Not to say there aren't any jazz players who play them, but that is not very typical for range lead players.

If you have a teacher, talk with them about it. Worse thing we could do is recommend a mouthpiece change when it sounds like you are successful with what you are using.
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Sunny Ca.

Harry had sizzle
    " It's a dog eat dog world out there and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear" Norm Peterson "Cheers"

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up" Lilly Tomlin

New Friend

I believe sizzle has slightly to do with the mouthpiece. I'm a jazz lead player, as well as a soloist, and the "sizzle" sound is a technique. I play on a Schilke 12B4 (slightly shallower than a Bach 3C) for solos and lower parts, and a Shew #2 (slightly shallower than 12B4) for lead playing. I get more sizzle out of the Shew #2, mostly because it cuts through other sounds. I can get sizzle on both mouthpieces, but I tend to get the sound I want out of the shallower mouthpiece. Keep in mind, I don't use the Shew #2 because it is a "lead mouthpiece," I use it to help produce the high notes while saving chops. I'm assuming they're either using slightly shallower mouthpieces to play longer sessions, but they could do it on a deeper mouthpiece as well. Anything deeper than a Bach 3C would take away from that sizzle. Keep practicing, and transcribe soloists or any playing that has that "sizzle" sound you want. Play what you want to hear, and be repetitive. You'll get the sound you want!
    BrassBandMajor likes this.

Be VERY careful comparing recordings of players to the sound that you hear from behind the horn. Our ears do different things in both cases.

That being said, a vibrant, brilliant sound is a holistic function of a relaxed body, proper and big breathing, a sound concept developed by hundreds of hours of playing and listening, and an attitude that I believe is born not learned.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information