Trumpet Discussion Discuss Question: Changing Mouth piece in the General forums; I have a guestion about changing mouth pieces. I have been using a mouth piece that has been quite satisfactory. ...
    New Friend

Question: Changing Mouth piece

I have a guestion about changing mouth pieces. I have been using a mouth piece that has been quite satisfactory. I have been using this mp for over a year now. I have been working to play higher . I have a solid B above staff and can hit F sharp when I am strong.
    Three days ago I started using a Monett BL Mp. When I first used the Monett I effortlessly reached E above high C. I was, needless to say quite elated. I brought the Monett home to see if I really would be satisfied with it.
    The most amazing thing has happened. I now am now only able to hit high C and even then it blows out.
    I like the feel of the mp and I like the sound. I really do not notice any difference while playing in the lower register.
    Is this a normal situation one encounters when changing mouth pieces .
    Any Information concerning this situation would be appreciated

Lebanon, TN
    Hello, Jim.

Whenever you change something in your playing, be it equipment or otherwise, it takes a while to get used to. It took me around six months to go from a Bach 5C to a Laskey 68MD.

Different rims, cups, diameters, all require a different approach. Its amazing how a few hundreths, or even thousandths of inches can change everything about a piece.

I say stay your course. It might take a while, but it'll pay off in the end. It took me six months to get used to a Laskey 68MD, but since then, I have attained a considerably darker, and nicer sound. I also have completely sworn off shallow mouthpieces since..

Do you have any studies/books that focus on mouthpiece buzzing?

Utimate User

Let's approach it logically. The metal has not changed so the mouthpiece, theoretically should provide you with the same improvement as the day you tried it.

What usually happens when people try mouthpieces is they are excited to try a novelty, they prepare with a big breath, and play with no expectations because they've never tried it before. When the novelty wears off, they go back to a less efficient breathing pattern and often play in a more restricted fashion as a result. When you know that you're going to get a bigger sound out of equipment, that's when you tend to overblow to force that big sound out intead of backing off and letting it happen. I'm sure you're trying to force the sound and your lips are not being allowed to vibrate.

These mouthpieces require a greater degree of stability of your embouchure, less moving around of the lips. They require a greater degree of consistency in the way you do things until you're really used to them. When you're at home with them, then you can play with less thought and just blow musically. Until then, I echo the suggestion of melodic mouthpiece buzzing. Tunes, I mean. In your practice and warm up, go for stability and consistency in everything.

Things will fall into place.

I wanted to toss another comment in here (although following a post by Manny is pretty tough!) that in the years that I have played, I have never "gained" any range by switching to or using a different mouthpiece. What I have gotten is more ease of range and ease of achieving a certain sound.

For instance, I use a Schilke 14A4a when I play rock band. (Some will read '14A4a' and cringe, but it works for me) With this mouthpiece I have a brighter sound with more edge, and my upper register seems to "pop" a little easier. My "legit" mouthpiece is a Stork Vachianno 3C. I have a much smoother sound on this mouthpiece. The sound is fuller, less edge, more robust and although I still have the same relative range, it takes more effort to get that zip in my sound, and the upper register takes more effort.

Maybe it's just me, but I have long since stopped looking for a mouthpiece to add notes to my upper register. My upper register is what it is, and I can achieve it on whatever mouthpiece I choose to play, it's just easier on the 14A4a.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information