Trumpet Discussion Discuss Questions Questions Questions... in the General forums; Why is it that I can play my best when my lips feel moistured, thin and smooth, but I can't ...

Questions Questions Questions...

Why is it that I can play my best when my lips feel moistured, thin and smooth, but I can't do as well when my lips feel thick and dry (not chapped). In other words I cannot play in the morning ( after breakfast), but I can play after a day of school, talking, eating etc. My lips aren't chapped or hurt, I just don't know why my lips are this way...

Why do I get a double buzz after a little bit of Arban #4 scale patterns? As I play it I get a double buzz when I get to around a F (top of the staff). When I play note by note up the staff and come back down, my sound either gets very airy or the sound chokes off. Ex: F to G to A to B to High C back down to B to a airy A to a choked off G. As I do play these things I make sure I am not tense, or too tight, my lips just stop vibrating and it's downhill from there. I don't use lip balm or chapstick by the way.

I've also feel like my chops are running out quick. Really weird.

Any advice?
    Practice as if you are the worst, play as if you are the best.

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

Re: Questions Questions Questions...

You are asking questions here that really no one can answer without seeing or hearing you play. The best advice anyone can give you is find a good private teacher and work with them doing exactly what they assign you.

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Questions Questions Questions...

Ricecakes, I live in the area and would happy to schedule a few lessons with you.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Thread Information