Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Rain Dates in the General forums; I have occasionally had to have a sub for me in the swing band. There were two separate occasions where ...
    Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit
    I have occasionally had to have a sub for me in the swing band.

There were two separate occasions where at the last minute I was suddenly available for the gig.

Being as the band will always be better with the regular players, both times I called the sub and told him I was available for the gig, thanked him for being available and paid him for the gig.

I played for nothing.

If you were able and available for the gig, you should have been paid also.

Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

I've been on both sides of the equation here and I suspect that the issue of payment to you if the gig is cancelled or what would happen on the rain date was not specifically addressed beforehand. While it's a bummer, unless it was worked out ahead of time you really don't have much recourse. It's not unreasonable for a bandleader to want their regular people on a gig if they are available. Is this worth making a big deal about though? You probably wont get anything and will only end up inspiring the band leader to get someone else next time. Be cool. Next time subbing there comes up ask if there is a rain date for the gig that you need to keep open as well. Then you'll know where you stand. It doesn't have to be a big or unpleasant deal.
    Bill S.- NY and Mt. Vernon Bach trumpets, Bach "C" cornet, NY Bach trombone 6vii, Schilke G and Yamaha Eb, Bb/A and flugelhorn. Warburton and Monette mouthpieces.

Forte User
    Quote Originally Posted by Solar Bell View Post

I played for nothing.

And that folks is the mark of someone with class.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day so that my child may have peace.”

Thomas Paine 1737-1809

“That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information