Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Range in the General forums; Flugelknoob, I appreciate your finacial situation. But you really need a teacher who understands range development. There are just too ...
    Greensboro, NC

Re: Range

Flugelknoob, I appreciate your finacial situation. But you really need a teacher who understands range development. There are just too many ways to do it wrong. I know you don't want to depend on luck. Can you find a teacher locally for even just 1 or 2 lessons?
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Pianissimo User
    Toa Payoh, Singapore

Alright, thanks for the advises guys. Well, Im still saving up to get my own trumpet(or flugelhorn) first, which, I was supposed to get back last November. But, Im already 17, and I feel at this age, asking my parents to get me one would be just insane and stupid when the world is in financial turmoil(plus Im taking econs!). So Im trying to save up here and there, and probably in a month or 2, I can get my first isntrument, hopefully first hand(but doesn't really matter), or at least a mouthpeice.

I could join the college band and use thier trumpet, but I'd rather join a community band and try something much much more physical(I have a desire to be a special forces member). Don't tell me about marching bands, because we don't have them here(yeah, I know!).

So I will try to get an instrument as soon as possible! Or I will try to borrow one from a friend, but they are all busy, so Im not too sure yet.

In the mean time, I will continue to research and check out the stuff you guys have given me. Thanks! Really appreciated!

Pianissimo User

If you're short for cash, never bother buying new instruments. In fact, never bother buying new instruments ever unless you have some spare cash burning a hole in your pocket. Used instruments are so much more rewarding and alive.

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

Long tones, and lip slurs have helped me a ton.

However, I agree with my Danish friend. Watch out, and avoid doing to many in one sitting. You feel as if your face blew up if you do. Dedicate a certain amount of time daily in your practice routine. I suggest later in your session, as these exercises are not intended to "warm" you up.

They will sound like a flaming ball of fecal matter at first. But doing them consistantly, you will start to see results.

Another piece of advice. When you feel as if you have made a bit of progress, and maybe gained a note or two. Don't just try to pound them for the fun of it all. Find a melody that includes these notes, then play it. That way it has meaning, and you don't freak your lips out.
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Quote Originally Posted by FlugelNoob View Post
    Alright, I know this is a very common question, and there have been many threads about this, before you trash me, please read on.

Alright, basically I can play the range of a Bb trumpet, all 31 semitones, from the F# below low C, to the top C, and sometimes when I have done a full warm up, even the C# and D above top C.

My question is, how do I extend my range BOTH lower and higher.
    I want to learn how to go to pedal tones. I have tried on my own but to no avail(like how you play lower brass). And also, how to go above the top C. I aim to at least be aply to play 6 semitones beyond the conventional range above and below.

Any ideas? Thanks
    The first thing you need is your own trumpet. A measly recorder will not help your embouchure.
    The next thing you need is a daily routine with breathing exercizes, long tones, slurs and MUSIC.
    The third thing you need is PATIENCE.
    Pedal tones are first played just by letting the lips "flap" in the mouthpiece. At that point there is no clean pitch, just some low fuzzy note. Diligent practice will help you improve that.

My opinion is that a DYI approach for a beginner has practically no chance of success. You need to find someone that can play and at least get some tips. Once a player has a decent start, they can often work out other things. What I notice in your post is that you only ask about range. Does this mean that you have a beautiful sound, good endurance and technique? Those are what is really important. Without them, range is just noise and annoying to all around us!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Halifax, NS CANADA

there are a couple books that I know of (and own) that work with pedal tones. The Louis Maggio method is exclusively pedal tones.

And the Arturo Sandoval Method Books. They are great.

Arturo Sandoval Sheet Music, Videos, and Software

I recommend a teacher to help you through them. If not, really pay attention to the instructions and descriptions on each exercise and make darn sure you are following them to a T.
    Eric Sproul
    Practice is like filling a leaky bucket

Bb: Paul Mauriat, Yamaha
    Flugel: Hub Van Laar ACK
    Mouthpieces: monette, yamaha

wasilla alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BergeronWannabe View Post
    thanks that helped my son Daniel !

besson international 800 usa
    benge 5x c. melk rebuilt
    getzen copra temp copper bell
    54 olds recording c. melk rebuilt

Pianissimo User
    Toa Payoh, Singapore

Thanks for more advise and resources.

I wouldn't like to boast, but I can play beutiful sound, but most of my trumpet parts have not needed me to, so I hardly practice them. Now I know I should(have).

Good endurance and technique is something that I had built in me over the years. Not practicing for a few months, I think it will take some time before I get back into my full playing capabilities. So should I start range excercises after I am able to play as my calibre when I practiced close to every single day?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information