Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Range disappeared ??? in the General forums; I have learned to both love and hate those "days of brilliance", and not just for the trumpet. It happens ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: Range disappeared ???

I have learned to both love and hate those "days of brilliance", and not just for the trumpet. It happens in just about any activity humans are capable of. Sports are a perfect example: when you suddenly just can't miss a shot in golf/basketball/pool. When your body suddenly knows just what to do. It's a fleeting feeling, and passes as quickly as it came.

I think NickD said it best:

When you have one of those good days, you have to be alert. You have to internalize the feel and form of what you are doing. This stuff is as repeatable as a perfect golf swing, but you have to know what you are doing so luck is totally removed from the picture.
    It's times like this that one realizes that he/she really *does* have some skill, but just doesn't know how to use that skill quite yet. And it's entirely frustrating!!! There is first a great excitement "I *get* IT now!!", then doubt, "I *had* IT just a minute ago. What happened?! Why can't I replicate the skill?" And this, IMO, is the important part -- either having had that taste can set a fire under one's skin to try harder, and be more dedicated, or the frustration of not being able to accomplish that which was for one moment extremely easy can lead to a total catastrophe -- of giving up.

If only there was some way to have those easy moments when It really counts...

The Wide Brown Land

Re: Range disappeared ???

I've just had one of those NickD days - wow.

The Band did a gig in support of the local hospital and muggins ended up on 'remedial 3rd trumpet' again - my preferred support role BTW. All the young lovelies with better range, better tone, and much better features than me (read into that what you will) taking the starring roles - fantastic.

But I too scored well - I ended up crunched up in front of one of the pedestal speakers due to the very limited performance space and thinking that I'd drawn the short straw. I'd never actually REALLY heard the whole band before - just our little section, and our attempts to blend properly, but at this gig I had the whole band behind me (a 'Big Band in a Box' as it were), what a great feeling, what a great sound. I'm not sure that the balance was as it usually is but I now know that my place in the ensemble has real value. - What did you say? Speak up, I can't hear you.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information