Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Range - Pressure - Practice Time in the General forums; You never really made clear in you post why the switch? I guess what's happening to you is normal; however ...
    Metro Detroit
    You never really made clear in you post why the switch?

I guess what's happening to you is normal; however without knowing the direction you want to go in it's difficult to give you advice.

If I could belt out a Double C I'd never leave the mouthpiece I did it on.

I used to play on a Bach 3C. I desired a better; richer tone and an all around mouthpiece.

For me I found it in the Monette B4S series of mouthpieces. It took some time but I can play with all the range I had on the Bach 3C and I get much better tone.

So I'd say define your goal and then strive for it. If you don't your just hap-hazzardly changing mouthpieces.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Mezzo Forte User
    Morelia, Mexico
    I tend not to fool around with mouthpiece changes. I played a Schilke 14a4C for years and years, then when i switched from a Bach to Yamaha Bb horn I used the Yamaha 13a4A and found it fit the horn better. When I practice I sometimes use a Bach 1 1/2 C just for fun, it's much more of a workout so when I go back to my normal piece it's really easy. Sort of like swinging a bigger bat whiule warming up. My opinion: what is right is right FOR YOU and for what you want to do. Everyone's physiology is different so what works for one person won't work for someone else.

Michael McLaughlin
    Morelia MM

New Friend
    I would practice long tones very softly on g and middle c but no higher. Work your way up to 15 minutes sustained. Do not take the mouthpiece away from your lips and breathe through your nose. When you feel the burning setting in STOP! Take a 30minute break and come back doing flexibility studies very SLOWLY. You should stop playing when you get tired and rest as much as you play. Be patient and get yourself solid up to
    a high 'c' and no higher on the mouthpiece that you will be playing on the most. Don't confuse your embouchure with switching back and forth. Let your chops get a consistent feel for one mouthpiece. Building a solid and consistent upper register takes time and consistent practice. Banlance you long tones with flexibilty and DON'T overblow the mouthpiece or the horn. Breathe the notes out don't force. Remember, tone quality before volume. The best tone quality cuts through any playing situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information