Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
I am always skeptical about players that have "a strong 'X' all the time... but not even a half step more"

It sounds like you are acheiving your "strong note" with pressure, and then overblowing to compensate for the increased pressure. This works great... up to a point. Then it quits. There just becomes a point where more overblowing cannot overcome the pressure killing the buzz. Guys like this have a LOUD top note, and that convinces them that they have range. Ask them to play it half as loud and see what they have. Usually nada. They have to overblow or the pressure kills the buzz. that added air makes volume. Good for the ego, bad for the lip (and the ears of your customers).

Teachers for 100+ years have advocated soft, low volume exercises and flexibility studies to increase range and endurance.

How far can you get into Clarke #9 on a 3C mpc at mp-mf volume.... with control and musicality, rather than thin tinny straining as range increases??

Listen to Malcom McNab play the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto to hear a guy with COMPLETE control over the whole range.
Malcolm McNab Tribute Page - The Usual Suspects

This is NOT what you want to see on your stand at your next recording gig....
Note the newspaper behind the music... in case he gets bored he'll have something to read. WOW!
looks like my warm up exercises

I had this problem in college ,, I could get higher but the tone was not the same and never reliable ... then my front tooth cap broke. I had a really sharp instructor who gave me the address of his dentist and also instructed me to get a stainless steel backed cap as it was thinner then the pocelian one .... voila ... I hit my first double b within months of that ... moral of the story ... well I am sure you can figure one out